Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

johnS
12-21-1998, 01:57 PM
Anybody ever change the oil pan gasket? I have a small leak<br>on one side. Would you advise on trying to tighten the bolts a nudge to see if it seals? ( I'm afraid to over<br>torque).. Glad it wasn't a rear seal.<p>90 535ia

TBM
12-22-1998, 01:37 AM
<br>I have an 89 525i that had a leaking oil pan gasket. Tightening the bolts helps. Mine went from a nice dotted trail and pool of oil in my driveway to just stinky fumes when the engine was running. You will probably be suprised how loose they are... I was. I guess the cork gasket got hard and shrunk over time. Replacement is easy if you have the right tools and a Bentley Manual (Aviable here on the board). It gives a detailed description on how to replace the gasket. You will also need a set of Torx Sockets. The bolts that hold on the rear housing are Torx head type ( like the new style cylinder head bolts). I suggest buying the set as there are at least two different sizes used on this car. Total cost was $20.00 for the Torx socket set at a CarQuest auto store and $8.00 for the new oil pan gasket. It took about 3 hours of my time on a Saturday to do the work. Make sure you have adequate room under the car to work as getting the oil pan out along with the pump is tricky. As always, practice safety when working underneath your car. Hope this helps!<p>TBM<br>85 325e<br>89 525i

ron
12-30-1998, 12:01 AM
<i>: Anybody ever change the oil pan gasket? I have a small leak<br>: on one side. Would you advise on trying to tighten the bolts a nudge to see if it seals? ( I'm afraid to over<br>: torque).. Glad it wasn't a rear seal.<p>: 90 535ia<p></i>John, ditto for my 525 at around 95K (real common on the M20 engines). My oil pan gasket had dried and cracked, only in one spot, but it was enough to leave an annoying 1-2" dia. puddle in my garage each time i pulled it in. I did it myself (dealer wanted over $250) in about 3.5 hours including lunch, and no more drips. Be careful to get ALL the bolts, there's hundreds of them holding it in place :-) ,and don't forget the ones under the rear tranny cover thingy. Also trial fit the pan DRY before placing the gasket and gunking it up with RTV...it is definitely a tight fit between the oil pump and the steering linkage. Bonus: I convinced the wife that since i saved all that money on the oil leak, i deserved to spend the $$ on a cd changer...i know she'll get even somehow...

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index