Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Doc
12-22-1998, 12:17 AM
The winter is here and I'm crossing my fingers for no snow. I own a 1990 535 and as you already know "NO TRACTION CONTROL". Damn,I envy the newer E34's. <br>But wait, I just came across a company from UK called Racelogic, they offer an aftermarket traction control system in 3 stages ranging from $795 to $1595. Is anyone fimiliar with this system or any other comparable system? Will this system actually work??? Or will I have to resort to the basics. If so, can anyone recommend winter driving tips as far as tires or whatever? <br>FYI:<br>The web address is racelogic.com<br>The e-mail address is racelogic@dial.pipex.com

Paul H
12-22-1998, 06:46 AM
<i>: The winter is here and I'm crossing my fingers for no snow. I own a 1990 535 and as you already know "NO TRACTION CONTROL". Damn,I envy the newer E34's. <p></i><p>No Traction Control? Interesting, my 535 (Built Date 9/90) has ASC. I did not get the car new, but the vehicle was optioned up at the time of first purchase with the electronic throttle and ASC.<p>I actually find it very useful on wet roads, but it is nice to be able to switch it off, too.<p>Paul.<br>

Fred Sures
12-22-1998, 09:02 AM
.The Racelogic system has been tested by BMW CAR magazine in the UK. It worked very well. I can't remember who reps the system in the US. You might try the web and contact them.

Mitch
12-28-1998, 05:38 PM
Doc:<p>I had a '92 E34 525i. I ran TWO snow tires (yes, I know -- shoulda been 4) during the winter when we had over 100 inches of snow here (Boston area). There were two of us who made it to work every day with no trouble -- me and a guy with a 4wd Jeep. My 525 had a manual trans, and no traction control, just the limited slip diff. And the snows. It was a great combination -- I never got stranded. <p>The only time I ever had trouble in that car was when the plow had put 8 inches of snow in front of the car, and I wasn't running snows that year.<p>Check out the snow tires, and you won't have to worry about the snow. (OBTW, I used Pirelli Winter P210s.)<p>And, you should know that traction ctrl isn't infallible -- I have it on my '97 528, and there's been at least one situation in which I turned it off and did better myself. The situation was a steep hill, about 6 inches of standing snow, and an undercoating of ice. Still not sure why, but switching the AST off was the only thing that got me up that beast!!<br><i>: The winter is here and I'm crossing my fingers for no snow. I own a 1990 535 and as you already know "NO TRACTION CONTROL". Damn,I envy the newer E34's. <br>: But wait, I just came across a company from UK called Racelogic, they offer an aftermarket traction control system in 3 stages ranging from $795 to $1595. Is anyone fimiliar with this system or any other comparable system? Will this system actually work??? Or will I have to resort to the basics. If so, can anyone recommend winter driving tips as far as tires or whatever? <br>: FYI:<br>: The web address is racelogic.com<br>: The e-mail address is racelogic@dial.pipex.com<p></i>

Jon Brush
12-30-1998, 01:57 PM
IMHO, you will spend a lot of money trying to install a traction control system at this point. I would do the following:<br>If you are in an area with LOTS of snow and ice, very little bare pavement driving in the snow season, go with 4 Bridgstone Blizzaks. Everyone says they are *great* in the snow and ice, grip like glue.<p>However, if, like me (Boston MA area) your winters are 90% bare roads, the Blizzaks will not be a good choice, as 1)they wear out *really* fast on bare pavement and 2) they are way soft and handling will be terrible on the bare pavement.<p>BTW, I got 4 Firestone Winterfire Snows because they were really cheap at Costco (~$50/each). Andy Peavey in Denver really likes his (which are studded). I haven't had a chance to try mine out yet (unstudded), in the snow. In the dry/wet the traction is "OK", but not up to the Michelin XGTs or Dunlops I've used in the summer. I will post a comment as soon as the weather cooperates.<p>Regards,<p>Jon Brush '92 535i 5sp 67.5K<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index