Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Akshay
12-22-1998, 10:33 AM
This morning when I started the car 1990/525i, i got this message on the console. I had the same problem a couple of months ago and i took it to the dealer who topped it off. He also told me that i keep a watch and if it happens again, i may have a leak. Now i think i do. Where should i start looking and can I DIY?<br>Also to add, It was 6 degrees today morning in Chicago and the windshield fluid didn't come thru the nozzles. I think they were frozen. Any remedies for that.<p>TIA<br>Akshay

GA
12-22-1998, 01:08 PM
As for your frozen windshield washer nozzles, turn on your rear defroster. Turning on your rear defroster also activates the heaters for the windhsield washer nozzles as well as the heated mirrors (at least on my '95 525i). Also, if your locks are frozen, hold up the driver's side door handle for a few seconds to activate the lock de-icers.<p><p><i>: This morning when I started the car 1990/525i, i got this message on the console. I had the same problem a couple of months ago and i took it to the dealer who topped it off. He also told me that i keep a watch and if it happens again, i may have a leak. Now i think i do. Where should i start looking and can I DIY?<br>: Also to add, It was 6 degrees today morning in Chicago and the windshield fluid didn't come thru the nozzles. I think they were frozen. Any remedies for that.<p>: TIA<br>: Akshay<p></i>

John
12-22-1998, 06:20 PM
The coolant leak may be coming from the radiator, specifically wher the plastic tanks are crimped to the aluminum core.<p>I had this problem on my '93 525i and it only leaked when the outside temperature got cold.<p>I could not find a radiator shop that wanted to touch it. The solution was a new radiator.

Grisha_E34_535
12-25-1998, 12:21 PM
Pull the handle that opens the hood and slide it forward, but do not actually lift the hood making some open space between hood's edge and the wipers. Run the engine for 10-15 mins - the heat that is coming out of the engine comparment will unfreeze the nozzles. You might not have heated nozzles, this can be checked by removing some noise protection off the hood. If there are wires connected to the nozzles - you have heated ones, if not...<br>On coolant. You should have noticed how much was added, if it just a drop - you are unlikely to have a leak, if 1 litre - check the cooling system. Quite frequently hoses fail. They can be found under the hood, two thick ones, one is short, one long, right near the thermostat.<p>Good luck<br>Grisha

Em
12-28-1998, 08:23 PM
Here's another idea on the coolant level warning message...<p>The sensors do tend to fail and give erroneous readings. They're an easy replacement (just unscrew from the bottom of the tank) and are fairly inexpensive too. BTW, the sensor can also give this warning if the tank is TOO FULL. If the warning shows up again, I would then check the coolant level to confirm what the sensor is indiciating...<p>Good Luck,<p>EM<p><i>: This morning when I started the car 1990/525i, i got this message on the console. I had the same problem a couple of months ago and i took it to the dealer who topped it off. He also told me that i keep a watch and if it happens again, i may have a leak. Now i think i do. Where should i start looking and can I DIY?<br>: Also to add, It was 6 degrees today morning in Chicago and the windshield fluid didn't come thru the nozzles. I think they were frozen. Any remedies for that.<p>: TIA<br>: Akshay<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index