Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1 ???

Doc
12-22-1998, 11:34 AM
I own a 90'535 with 98k, at about 80k I changed from conventional oil to Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic oil. I'm not quit sure if this is the recommended weight for my car or if geographics (NY Metro) or milage play a part in the determination of the weight of the oil. Can anyone offer support? <br>One more thing, how often should I change the oil?

Joe
12-22-1998, 11:58 AM
I have a 1992 535i that since new I've used 10W/30 Mobil 1. The car runs great! I change every 3k just because I do a lot of hard driving.

Phil Coppin
12-22-1998, 12:13 PM
I have used Mobil 1 since it was introduced in all my cars (including a modified Supra Turbo!). I use 15w50 both in my 525i and my wifes Audi A4q. 15w pours down to -30F so it covers the Chicago winters and the 50 takes care of our summers. Also you will see that 15w50 is ok by BMW in the manual but remember they are basing this on dino oils so the low end temps tend to be higher. <br>Remember wind chill temps don't count in a car!<p>Phil C.<br>95 525i 5spd. Sharked<br> <br>

DRM
12-22-1998, 03:07 PM
You can expect a lot of conflicting answers on oil change interval. Many people are still in the 3000 mile mode, but I think that that is just resistance to change. I've seen studies and experiments with synthetics reported that go all over the lot with change intervals, but none at 3000 miles. One study ran 50,000 miles of city and suburban driving without an oil change (don't remember if they reported filter change interval), and then tore the engine down and found NO MEASURABLE WEAR. <p>There are arguements that say acid buildup is about the same in sythetic or traditional oil, so the idea of more frequent changes, if you drive a lot of short trips, has some merit. One article suggested that topping up after changing just the filter, which should continue to be done at factory-recommended intervals regardless of the type of opil you use,replaces enough oil and corresponding additives to keep the total contents of the oil pan in good condition without frequent changes.<p>I have used 15W50 Mobil 1 for almost 10 years in one engine, and never had a problem with a lubricated part. The engine saw reasonably severe use, but no racing. No winter starting problems in Boston and my car was not garaged.<p>I'm about to convert my recently acquired 535i with 105K to Mobil 1. Some folks say you shouldn't convert an older engine, but at least part of that is left over from 20-30 years ago when people were advised not to shift from non-detergent to detergent oil in an older engine. The sudden introduction of detergents would supposedly stir up years of gum and debris. In more modern terms, some say that the synthetics form a thinner protective coating that traditional oil, so the engine that has had a diet of traditional oil will have set up different clearances and will consume more synthetic oil. If that's true, the worst I'll see is slightly higher oil consumption, which is currently less than a quart in 3K miles. I think the benes of synthetics are worth such a small price. <p>In any event, the articles I've seen in the past 10 years are full of contradictions. Even the level-headed, supposedly scientific reports seem to get criticised severly or contradicted in a magazines' next issue, so if there's a a consistent, fact-based approach, I haven't seen it. <p>I compromise and change twice a year, spring and fall, or about every 6-7K miles. I have used 15W50 summer and 10W40 winter, but think I'll stay with 15W50 from now on.

Doc
12-22-1998, 11:30 PM
<i>: You can expect a lot of conflicting answers on oil change interval. Many people are still in the 3000 mile mode, but I think that that is just resistance to change. I've seen studies and experiments with synthetics reported that go all over the lot with change intervals, but none at 3000 miles. One study ran 50,000 miles of city and suburban driving without an oil change (don't remember if they reported filter change interval), and then tore the engine down and found NO MEASURABLE WEAR. <p>: There are arguements that say acid buildup is about the same in sythetic or traditional oil, so the idea of more frequent changes, if you drive a lot of short trips, has some merit. One article suggested that topping up after changing just the filter, which should continue to be done at factory-recommended intervals regardless of the type of opil you use,replaces enough oil and corresponding additives to keep the total contents of the oil pan in good condition without frequent changes.<p>: I have used 15W50 Mobil 1 for almost 10 years in one engine, and never had a problem with a lubricated part. The engine saw reasonably severe use, but no racing. No winter starting problems in Boston and my car was not garaged.<p>: I'm about to convert my recently acquired 535i with 105K to Mobil 1. Some folks say you shouldn't convert an older engine, but at least part of that is left over from 20-30 years ago when people were advised not to shift from non-detergent to detergent oil in an older engine. The sudden introduction of detergents would supposedly stir up years of gum and debris. In more modern terms, some say that the synthetics form a thinner protective coating that traditional oil, so the engine that has had a diet of traditional oil will have set up different clearances and will consume more synthetic oil. If that's true, the worst I'll see is slightly higher oil consumption, which is currently less than a quart in 3K miles. I think the benes of synthetics are worth such a small price. <p>: In any event, the articles I've seen in the past 10 years are full of contradictions. Even the level-headed, supposedly scientific reports seem to get criticised severly or contradicted in a magazines' next issue, so if there's a a consistent, fact-based approach, I haven't seen it. <p>: I compromise and change twice a year, spring and fall, or about every 6-7K miles. I have used 15W50 summer and 10W40 winter, but think I'll stay with 15W50 from now on. <p></i> Can you tell me the difference between 15W50,10W30 and 10W40?

Allan J
12-22-1998, 11:39 PM
This link might help...<br>http://www.motortrend.com/august98/cc/cc_f.html

Izzy
12-23-1998, 12:11 AM
<br>Doesnt the Service Indicator tell us exactly when to change oil by checking the viscosity of the oil???<br>So shouldn't we follow this?<p>Thanx in advance<p><br>: I own a 90'535 with 98k, at about 80k I changed from conventional oil to Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic oil. I'm not quit sure if this is the recommended weight for my car or if geographics (NY Metro) or milage play a part in the determination of the weight of the oil. Can anyone offer support? <br>: One more thing, how often should I change the oil?<p>

Rod...
12-23-1998, 08:03 AM
<i>: <br>: Doesnt the Service Indicator tell us exactly when to change oil by checking the viscosity of the oil???<br>: So shouldn't we follow this?<p>: Thanx in advance<p>: <br>: : I own a 90'535 with 98k, at about 80k I changed from conventional oil to Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic oil. I'm not quit sure if this is the recommended weight for my car or if geographics (NY Metro) or milage play a part in the determination of the weight of the oil. Can anyone offer support? <br>: : One more thing, how often should I change the oil?<p></i>No! It doesn't<br>The Service indicator has a standard mileage interval. The OBC receives inputs from the starter, tachometer, odometer and an engine temperature. This interval will be modified by the number of cold starts, >4K engine RPM's when cold, fuel consumption, etc. The newer(1996) models considers only fuel consumption, which BMW engineers have found is an adequate indicator of service needs. High fuel consumption is an indication of harder use and produces higher oil contamination than low fuel consumption.

Izzy
12-23-1998, 08:05 PM
<br>Hmmm, if that's the case Rod, then shouldn't the period of us changing our oil be governed by the service indicator lights??<br>I admit, I never take the time to see the oil from the engine. The service indicator tells me to change the oil when it turns red.<p>Thanx in advance again.<p>Izzy....<p>

Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index