Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

geoffrey petrizze
12-23-1998, 04:16 AM
I'm afraid that i have been sucked in... BMW makes a really great car... i thought that i would stay a toyota man forever (... and i still do own and cherish my first car, a '68 toyota corona... ) but 2 years ago, my wife and i bought a '87 535is... (getting a lot of car for the $$ compared to toyota's or honda's for the same amount...) and i fell in love with driving again... (it was the first car that i have owned that i could drive from San Francisco to L.A. and not feel like i just sat for 5 hours)<p>i am currently looking at a '89 535i with 95K... really clean car... always been garaged, never a need for body work and the interior looks excellent for a 10 yr old car. he put really nice 17" 5 spoke rims on it with a little wider tire than stock. good service history, records. based on some of the stuff i have read from this message board that usually need to be fixed, have been (ie, new radiator, new water pump, and just done new brakes and rotors) i drove it and it rides smooth... no vibrations or unusual sounds... checked out the AT and it shifts really smooth, and all its functions work properly, much nicer than our e28... the idel is really smooth. the OBC works in every way... and from what i have seen... all the electical works (except the head rests ...motors activate, but the head rests don't move... which i think i can deal with). the car is up for its major service, and soon its inspection II i guess... which i am not familiar with... the e28 didn't need it.<br>is there anything else that i should be aware of?? i will be the 3rd owner if i buy,... are there any warranty or recall items to look out for before it turns 100K?? it sounds like this car is night and day more reliable than the e28... he is asking $11,700 for it.<br>any feedback would be greatly appreciated <p>thanks <br>geoffrey<br>

ron
12-29-1998, 11:28 PM
<i>: I'm afraid that i have been sucked in... BMW makes a really great car... i thought that i would stay a toyota man forever (... and i still do own and cherish my first car, a '68 toyota corona... ) but 2 years ago, my wife and i bought a '87 535is... (getting a lot of car for the $$ compared to toyota's or honda's for the same amount...) and i fell in love with driving again... (it was the first car that i have owned that i could drive from San Francisco to L.A. and not feel like i just sat for 5 hours)<p>: i am currently looking at a '89 535i with 95K... really clean car... always been garaged, never a need for body work and the interior looks excellent for a 10 yr old car. he put really nice 17" 5 spoke rims on it with a little wider tire than stock. good service history, records. based on some of the stuff i have read from this message board that usually need to be fixed, have been (ie, new radiator, new water pump, and just done new brakes and rotors) i drove it and it rides smooth... no vibrations or unusual sounds... checked out the AT and it shifts really smooth, and all its functions work properly, much nicer than our e28... the idel is really smooth. the OBC works in every way... and from what i have seen... all the electical works (except the head rests ...motors activate, but the head rests don't move... which i think i can deal with). the car is up for its major service, and soon its inspection II i guess... which i am not familiar with... the e28 didn't need it.<br>: is there anything else that i should be aware of?? i will be the 3rd owner if i buy,... are there any warranty or recall items to look out for before it turns 100K?? it sounds like this car is night and day more reliable than the e28... he is asking $11,700 for it.<br>: any feedback would be greatly appreciated <p>: thanks <br>: geoffrey<p></i>geoff, sounds like a well cared for car, check the book value using Kelly Blue book (www.kbb.com) and i think you will be making him an offer. These cars are virtual steals at this age...their prices stay lower because dealers can't peddle them, and most people/banks won't do a loan on a car over 4 years old. You can buy them for literally 30k less than they cost new, and everyone KNOWS Bimmers age very gracefully. I still love the reaction of people when i tell them my car is almost 10 years old. If you're even the least bit of a backyard mechanic, and you obviously know the right website for ??s, you will do fine with the car. My advice is have the car checked out completely re: compression check, exhaust system, self-leveling pump/ and tranny (all big ticket item$) the rest is just nice to have stuff that you can tackle when you have the time/and $$. Best of luck, and don't wait too long, the 535i's around here are usually sold within a week or two.<br>ron<br>89 525iA <br>

Steve
01-14-1999, 07:16 PM
Your story is much like mine. In Canada there is an Auto Trader magazine for European cars. It is typically 140 pages and is published weekly. I watched the Auto Trader for a few months to get a feel of the market. 90% of the cars are in Toronto. I found an 89 525i for $11,900 Cdn which is about $7,700 US. People think I won the lottery when they see what a beauty I drive.<br> <br>If I were from the US I would purchase a car in Canada. Your dollar will go far here.<p>

al
01-20-1999, 12:41 PM
Purchasing in cananda makes sense to me especially since my neighbors are canadian and I could probally talk my wife into going to toronto (only in the summer). The only question I have is about the air quality standards and emissions equipement. If you buy the car in canada do you have to change the emissions equipement or is it ok to bring the car into the US without testing?<p><i>: Your story is much like mine. In Canada there is an Auto Trader magazine for European cars. It is typically 140 pages and is published weekly. I watched the Auto Trader for a few months to get a feel of the market. 90% of the cars are in Toronto. I found an 89 525i for $11,900 Cdn which is about $7,700 US. People think I won the lottery when they see what a beauty I drive.<br>: <br>: If I were from the US I would purchase a car in Canada. Your dollar will go far here.<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index