Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

g.adams
12-27-1998, 04:55 PM
Did not get a response from the 7 series board so I will try here since the controls are the same. Just purchased car a month ago. The cruise worked when I test drove. Shortly after I purchased it the cruise worked on and off, and sometimes when it did work it was a bit jerky. Now it does not work at all. I replaced the brake light switch. Any ideas were to look before I have to bring it to the dealer?<p>Thanks for any replys.

Carl
12-28-1998, 06:43 AM
J had the same problem on my 520i 94', and had to change the cruise control actuator, located in the engine compartment (I suppose its some kind of device which operates the throttles). Its expensive but you should be able to get a used one from dealers specilized in such parts. It should be a DIY job to change it, but J haven't done myself.<p>Good luck

Theo
12-28-1998, 11:36 AM
I had a similar problem that was addressed by checking the speed sensor and its connector located on the upper-rear of the differential case (E34).<p>First, find the wiring connector to the speed sensor and completely clean it. This is a known problem area as the connector is in a spot that will pick up dirt and moisture. See if this does the trick.<p>If not, have the speed sensor checked. I have seen reports that a soldering iron applied to the connector terminals of the speed sensor has been successful in curing a misbehaving unit. It appears that it is rare that the actual speed sensor fails, however.<p>You may want to try these two approaches before spending alot of money checking and replacing other (more costly) items.<p>Theo

Shawn Anderson
12-28-1998, 12:46 PM
<i>: I had a similar problem that was addressed by checking the speed sensor and its connector located on the upper-rear of the differential case (E34).<p>: First, find the wiring connector to the speed sensor and completely clean it. This is a known problem area as the connector is in a spot that will pick up dirt and moisture. See if this does the trick.<p>: If not, have the speed sensor checked. I have seen reports that a soldering iron applied to the connector terminals of the speed sensor has been successful in curing a misbehaving unit. It appears that it is rare that the actual speed sensor fails, however.<p>: You may want to try these two approaches before spending alot of money checking and replacing other (more costly) items.<p>: Theo<p></i><p>If the speed sensor (or its wiring) were the culprit, you would also have a malfunctioning speedometer. Also the speed sensors in the differential DO go bad.

Theo
12-28-1998, 01:03 PM
Shawn--<p>True enough. When I encountered my problem, the speedometer would "dive" causing the cruise to try to compensate. Thus, the problem was actually NOT related to the cruise but the erratic speed readings that were "fed" to it.<p>Carl--<p>Have you noticed erratic speedometer readings when your cruise shuts down or becomes jerky?<p>Theo<p>

Carl
12-28-1998, 02:31 PM
Well, I better tell you the whole story.<p>First my speedometer started to suddenly drop dead simultaneosly whith the mile counter and the "fuel consumption indicator" (you probably have I better name for it) If I had the CC activated at the same time it also fell out. The malfunction could last from a couples of seconds up to one minute. After a while driving around whith this problem the CC started to act as described in previous mail. I went to a dealer who found that the problem was related to a broken wire from the rear differential to the speedometer.<p>This solved all problems except the CC that continued to live its own life until I got the cruise control actuator changed.<p>So the answer to your question is that after the wire was fixed it was only the CC that didn't work. (But did the broken wire cause the cruise failure)<p>Carl

Theo
12-29-1998, 09:02 AM
g.frank,<p>Is your speedometer behaving erratically when the cruise acts up?<p>Theo

G. Adams
12-29-1998, 06:47 PM
<p>: g.frank,<p>: Is your speedometer behaving erratically when the cruise acts up?<p>: Theo<p>The speedometer seems to work fine even when the cruise starts to work. Actually the cruise works very seldom and with no consistency. I was driving the car last night and it worked and now tonight not at all. Not all the functions on the on board computer seem to work. The ones that appear to be off are the Avg mph, Avg mpg and the speed limit warning is not very consistent as it will work sometimes and not others. Maybe this is the problem?<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index