Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

steve
12-28-1998, 05:06 PM
I've got an E34 24v with 100k miles that in the past few weeks has begun to ping. Most noticeable just as the auto transmission changes up (no its not the transmission making noises). higher octane unleaded helps a lot but doesn't eliminate and anyway ordinary 95 unleaded (in the uk) should be ok anyway - I think. I've checked all connectors. Changed the plugs twice. Took it on a run to Paris and back as fast as I dared (400mile round trip - thought it might clean some coke out)but still pings. According to the manual the engine has knock sensors ??? but I can't find them. Anyone got any ideas??<p>

Jesper Andersen
12-29-1998, 05:40 PM
<i>: I've got an E34 24v with 100k miles that in the past few weeks has begun to ping. Most noticeable just as the auto transmission changes up (no its not the transmission making noises). higher octane unleaded helps a lot but doesn't eliminate and anyway ordinary 95 unleaded (in the uk) should be ok anyway - I think. I've checked all connectors. Changed the plugs twice. Took it on a run to Paris and back as fast as I dared (400mile round trip - thought it might clean some coke out)but still pings. According to the manual the engine has knock sensors ??? but I can't find them. Anyone got any ideas??<p>Yes, go to a BMW dealer with the BIG tester!<p>It sounds like, your knocksensors doesn't work!<p>A higher octan can help, but not with low RPM - when f.eg. the aut. transmisson shift up in gear!<br></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index