Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Jim Gilboy
12-28-1998, 05:45 PM
Greetings & Salutations to all E34 fans!<br>My '89 535i has faded, splotchy paint.<br>The clear coat actually looks like it is full of long "spider web" tiny cracks.<br>Car was in Florida or Washington D.C. most of life, and garaged entire time.<br>Could not locate exact pasint cde/name... is dark metallic silver/gray.<br>Anyone aware of the notorious secret warranty type bulletins?<br>Or is it repaint time??<p>Jim

Chris
12-29-1998, 12:14 AM
As to the colour, mine is a dark metallic grey (Delphin Grey, code 184), on my '89 E34. For the colour code, look in the engine compartment, it should be a black sticker, near the strut towers.<p>Sorry, I can't help you with the "spider web" effect, though I suspect it is repaint time.

Steve
12-29-1998, 10:37 AM
<i>: Greetings & Salutations to all E34 fans!<br>: My '89 535i has faded, splotchy paint.<br>: The clear coat actually looks like it is full of long "spider web" tiny cracks.<br>: Car was in Florida or Washington D.C. most of life, and garaged entire time.<br>: Could not locate exact pasint cde/name... is dark metallic silver/gray.<br>: Anyone aware of the notorious secret warranty type bulletins?<br>: Or is it repaint time??<p>: Jim<p>JIM,<br>I have a 1989 525i silver metallic with the same problem. Went to a good friend at a body shop. He tried buffing and wet sanding, the spider cracks do not come out. As explained to me, silver has the least amount of pigment, and the little pieces of metallic collect heat and cause the paint to crack. The cracks are in the paint, not on the top or in the clear coat. I do not know of a warranty. I think it's repaint time. If you here of something diiferent, let me know.<p>Steve

ron
12-29-1998, 01:06 PM
<i>: Greetings & Salutations to all E34 fans!<br>: My '89 535i has faded, splotchy paint.<br>: The clear coat actually looks like it is full of long "spider web" tiny cracks.<br>: Car was in Florida or Washington D.C. most of life, and garaged entire time.<br>: Could not locate exact pasint cde/name... is dark metallic silver/gray.<br>: Anyone aware of the notorious secret warranty type bulletins?<br>: Or is it repaint time??<p>: Jim<p></i>Jim, sounds like you're the lucky owner the discontinued bimmer color delphin, code 184. look on the passenger side strut tower for a small black rectangle with the words delphin metallic. I've got it too. I was able to buff out a lot of the imperfections on my car (sketchings is what my body shop friend calls them), but he recommended i go for a repaint on the hood. It's still called delphin, but it may be followed by the word blue instead of grey. I buffed the rest with a low speed orbital and some paint scrubber compound safe for clearcoats, very noticable improvement, but didn't get 'em all out. It's still a great color, i get compliments on it all the time how it looks blue or green in different light. Whatever you do, don't let the body shop talk you into a "color very close" or "almost identical." <br>My car's almost 10 years old, but now looks "almost" new. best of luck restoring that unique colored 5 !<p>ron<br>89 delphin w/natural

Fred Meloan
12-29-1998, 04:24 PM
Jim:<p>I know that BMW NA has agreed to repaint at least one 1989 E34 525. I was at Heishman BMW in Arlington, Va. last summer and ran into an old friend who was there to meet the BMW NA service representative. The bottom line was that BMW would not give her any money but would agree to pay for having the car repainted due to exactly the kind of problem you describe.<p>That's all I can tell you except that I seem to recall that the color was either bronzit or cashmere.<p>Fred Meloan

Jim Gilboy
12-29-1998, 09:46 PM
Thanks to your responses I now know the paint is " LACHSSILBER METALLIC"<br>As a follow up to my situation I wanted to thank all of you.<br>i will contact BMW and see what the cure is for this paint, if any. I accept the fact the car is 10 years old ( 81,000 mi.)<br>Car is a winner except for the blemishes.<br>Clearasil perhaps??<p>Jim

Joe
01-01-1999, 10:55 PM
Sound more like a poor repaint! Original clear coat is a baked on clear paint, not sprayed on after thought like American cars.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index