Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

ron
12-29-1998, 11:44 PM
ANyone have any strong convictions or recommendations on whether to use or not use injector cleaner in my 89 small-6 (M20)? I've heard the positives about cleaning the injectors on these cars, but also heard stories of possible damage, with many advising to just run the car at higher rpms for a while to "burn off" any deposits. I just don't want $5-10 worth of additive to possibly cause $500+ worth of future injector headache. Any SAFE recommendations? TIA<p>ron<br>89 525iA (about 105K)

Steve
12-30-1998, 10:50 AM
<i>: ANyone have any strong convictions or recommendations on whether to use or not use injector cleaner in my 89 small-6 (M20)? I've heard the positives about cleaning the injectors on these cars, but also heard stories of possible damage, with many advising to just run the car at higher rpms for a while to "burn off" any deposits. I just don't want $5-10 worth of additive to possibly cause $500+ worth of future injector headache. Any SAFE recommendations? TIA<p>: ron<br>: 89 525iA (about 105K)<p>Ron,<br>I have a 1989 525i 152,000 miles, I have run cleaners through the gas many times before. The car still runs great. The best thing I did, as the car got older, I switched to midgrade gas 89 octane. This helped the idle and performance. Good driving, I'm going for 200,000.

Steve
12-30-1998, 11:00 AM
<i>: ANyone have any strong convictions or recommendations on whether to use or not use injector cleaner in my 89 small-6 (M20)? I've heard the positives about cleaning the injectors on these cars, but also heard stories of possible damage, with many advising to just run the car at higher rpms for a while to "burn off" any deposits. I just don't want $5-10 worth of additive to possibly cause $500+ worth of future injector headache. Any SAFE recommendations? TIA<p>: ron<br>: 89 525iA (about 105K)<p>Ron, <p>I have a 1989 525i with 152,000 miles. I have used those cleaners and the car runs great. As the car got older, I switched to midgrade gas 89 Octane. This help the idle and performance. Good Luck and good driving.

Chris
12-30-1998, 04:17 PM
I recently bought an '89 E34 525i, 55K miles.<p>My mechanic recommended me NOT to use injector cleaners. His experience is that they are great if used from new. However, if used on an older car, which hasn't constantly had the treatment, some old large particles in the lines may be dislodged, and block the injectors.<p>Though, I suggest that if your car runs great - don't do anything.<p>Let me know what you decide.

TBM
01-08-1999, 12:52 AM
Hey Ron, It sounds like we have the same year, model, and color of 525i (Delphin Grey). I was looking at other posts. Anyway, regarding the injector cleaner. I am sold on Lubro-Moly's one-two punch of Jectron and Ventil Sauber cleaners. I have used them both on my 85 325e and the 89 525i with noticeable results. The 325e was "cleaned" the first time at 100k(250k now), the 525i @ 70k (150k now). If you are intersted, I will forward the tech tip on how to "SUPER-CLEAN" the system using these products. Hope this info is helpful:-).<p>TBM<br>89 525i<br>85 325e

ron
01-08-1999, 10:50 AM
<p></i>And i thought i had a unique color combination, oh well....regarding the injector cleaning, Sure fwd it along. Thanks.<br>ron<br>89 525ia (delphin/natural--the best color combo :^)

TBM
01-11-1999, 01:15 AM
This procedure has been published in a back issue of European Car magazine and is also in the Bavarian Autosport Catalog... You will need one can of Jectron and two cans of Ventil Sauber. Do this procedure when your gas light is on so the concentration is higher. First, start the car and let it warm up. Open the can of Ventil Sauber but do not attach the nozzle. Open the hood and locate the vacuum hose going from the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator. Disconnect the hose on the regulator side. Stick the hose into the can and let it suck the cleaner directly into the intake manifold. regulate the flow by pinching the hose. White smoke will POUR out of the muffler so don't be alarmed. When the can is about half full, shut off the car and let it "hot soak" for about 30 minutes. Re-sart the car and suck the remainder of the cleaner out. Let the car idle until the smoke stops. It is then safe to shut it off again. Next, pour the entire can of Jectron into the almost empty tank of gasoline and go for a drive. After about 20 miles or so, fill up with gas and mix in the last can of Ventil Sauber. Drive it clean. I have used this procedure for both of my cars and it has made noticible improvements, especially at idle. Let me know.<p>TBM<br>89 525i<br>85 325e

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index