Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Dave
12-30-1998, 12:22 AM
Anybody ever added a ski pass-thru to a car not originally equipped with one? I see that the metal between the two rear seats and the trunk has the perforated cutout, but what about the trunk lining material? Any ideas appreciated.

ron
12-30-1998, 12:40 AM
<i>: Anybody ever added a ski pass-thru to a car not originally equipped with one? I see that the metal between the two rear seats and the trunk has the perforated cutout, but what about the trunk lining material? Any ideas appreciated.<p></i>if i remember right, someone answered this many weeks ago, might want to check the archives, but what i do remember was it was just a matter of removing the perf metal section and outlining the exposed edges with a rubber gasket/grommet material, the flap of leather already there is used when you're not headed to the mountains. Not very glamorous, huh?

Jon Brush
12-30-1998, 09:55 AM
<br>Hi fellow E34er's: You guys must have been good all year. I *just* did this to my '92 535i two weeks ago. The whole job is well outlined in 6 languages in the instructions which come with the BMW skisack kit. I had no trouble doing it myself. The kit itself is much more complicated than you would think (typical German/BMW overengineering :-) <p>What you do is remove the lower backseat cushion and backrest. Then remove the carpeting/insulation from the trunk side, exposing both sides of the divider between the car and the trunk. Then, with a metal chisel or other cutting devise, pop thru the pre perfed metal section, and the remaining insulation on the interior side of the divider.. All of this is very obvious (and not difficult) once the seat cushions etc are out. From there it's just installing the vinyl sack, little spring loaded door to the trunk, etc. <p>The part that surprised me was that the kit includes new sections of carpet/insulation which you attach to the trunk side of the divider, on either side of the pass-through door. I had expected that one would cut the old carpeting. I saved the old materials so that I can remove the skisack when I sell the car, if I want to. There will be nothing to show that it was ever there, unless someone digs around and finds that the metal section was removed.<p>The whole job is done in 1 or 2 hrs., without any busted knuckles. Now I'm just waiting for some snow here in the Northeast so I can try it out!<p>Regards, Jon Brush '92 535i 5sp 67.5 K<br>

Bill Mitchell
12-30-1998, 11:32 AM
Yep, I've done it to my '95 540i too. Jon pretty well outlines the procedure, and the instructions are VERY complete! It can be used to haul things other than skis, like 2X4's and such. I don't use mine very often but it comes in handy when I need it

Dave
12-30-1998, 07:12 PM
<br>: <br>: Hi fellow E34er's: You guys must have been good all year. I *just* did this to my '92 535i two weeks ago. The whole job is well outlined in 6 languages in the instructions which come with the BMW skisack kit. I had no trouble doing it myself. The kit itself is much more complicated than you would think (typical German/BMW overengineering :-) <p>: What you do is remove the lower backseat cushion and backrest. Then remove the carpeting/insulation from the trunk side, exposing both sides of the divider between the car and the trunk. Then, with a metal chisel or other cutting devise, pop thru the pre perfed metal section, and the remaining insulation on the interior side of the divider.. All of this is very obvious (and not difficult) once the seat cushions etc are out. From there it's just installing the vinyl sack, little spring loaded door to the trunk, etc. <p>: The part that surprised me was that the kit includes new sections of carpet/insulation which you attach to the trunk side of the divider, on either side of the pass-through door. I had expected that one would cut the old carpeting. I saved the old materials so that I can remove the skisack when I sell the car, if I want to. There will be nothing to show that it was ever there, unless someone digs around and finds that the metal section was removed.<p>: The whole job is done in 1 or 2 hrs., without any busted knuckles. Now I'm just waiting for some snow here in the Northeast so I can try it out!<p>: Regards, Jon Brush '92 535i 5sp 67.5 K<p>

Jon Brush
12-30-1998, 10:27 PM
I got it from BMW of Peabody (north of Boston) during a Boston BMWCCA chapter meeting for 25% off list. This came to $246 including 5%sales tax (reviewing my credit card bill as we speak...... kachinng/doing my part to keep the economy going).<p>You might be able to do as well on the web. Many dealers give 20% disc. to BMWCCA members; if you haven't joined do so, you will make back the $35 the first time you go shopping, plus all the other benefits (Roundel, drivers schools, etc). Try our host for prices.<p>Regards,<br>Jon 92 535i 5sp 67.5K mi.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index