Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Ben
12-30-1998, 11:34 AM
Please forgive in advance what may be a stupid question from<br>a BMW newbie, but how can I tell if my recently purchased<br>'94 530i 5-spd has traction control? And what exactly<br>is traction control? Is it just a limited-slip differential<br>or is there more to it? Is it generally considered desirable?<p>Thanks to all who participate in this excellent msg board!

shaun
12-30-1998, 12:57 PM
<i>: Please forgive in advance what may be a stupid question from<br>: a BMW newbie, but how can I tell if my recently purchased<br>: '94 530i 5-spd has traction control? And what exactly<br>: is traction control? Is it just a limited-slip differential<br>: or is there more to it? Is it generally considered desirable?<p>: Thanks to all who participate in this excellent msg board!<p><br>Ben,<p>If there is a button just above and to the left of your gear shift marked ASC, you have traction control. This is MUCH more than just a limited slip dif. in that a computer module monitors wheel slip on slick surfaces and backs down power and applies braking to keep you in line. This is not a fail safe device and cannot replace safe driving practices. There will also be a orange light that flickers in the middle of the guage cluster that tells you that ASC is activated. You can de-activate this feature by pressing the ASC button and the orange light will stay illuminated, warning you that traction control is now off. Trust me, this feature is VERY desirable if you drive on wet or slick roads for BMWs in the past were some of the worst cars to drive in snow or ice conditions.<p>Hope this helps.<p>Shaun.<br>94' e34 525i w/ASC

Phil Coppin
12-30-1998, 01:02 PM
Hey Ben.. If you don't know the subject there is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer! <br>Here's what I know...You will have a switch in front of the gearshift under the ashtray on the Left Hand side with ASC on it. If you don't have that, you don't have ASC! <br>Here in the Mid-West, ASC is VERY desirable especially on a Bimmer, because, TADA!!, you can turn it off!!! <p>My recommendation, is to buy a Bentley's manual for your car and become an informed Bimmer owner. <p>If you don't have the original sticker from your car or are unsure of the optional equipment, you can use the VIN number to find out from BMW what options you have on your car.<br>Happy and Safe New Year..<p><p>Phil C.<br>95 525i 5spd. Sharked.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index