Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Joe Mazza
12-31-1998, 11:07 AM
The heater fan in my '90 e34 has started to squeak intermittently (sounds just like a slipping fan belt).<p>Happens mostly at the "2" setting, my usual selection.<p>Going to "4" will sometimes stop it, but it's definitely getting worse and more frequent.<p>Can anyone tell me what replacing/fixing the fan would involve? Time, money, parts availability, DIY project or dealer job, etc.<p>Thanks.<p>Joe<br>'90 535i (186,000 miles and going strong...)

Phil Coppin
12-31-1998, 12:18 PM
Joe,<br>Would suggest buying a Bentley Manual (if you haven't one)and just go in and check it out. BTW - Have you changed your filter lately it doesn't help the fan if you have a blocked filter!!<p>Happy New Year<p>Phil C.<br>95 525i 5spd. Sharked

Steve T
01-03-1999, 10:21 AM
Can't really help but...<br>Had this on my E28 - minor annoyance for 6 years and 90k miles, then I bought an E34. The prosphor-bonze bearings on the fan motors are porous and hold some oil which eventually runs out leading to noise. If you can get at them, you can drop some oil on them to defer the problem. Changing the fan motor looks like $$$ or a real pain, whichever your preference.<p>Look on the bright side - it is much harder to fix the same problem on the flywheel/gearbox spigot bearing, same material, same potential for squealing. I suspect BMW use a ballrace, better engineering where it counts?<p>Steve<br><i>: The heater fan in my '90 e34 has started to squeak intermittently (sounds just like a slipping fan belt).<br>

Taft
01-04-1999, 11:16 AM
Joe: I had exactly the same problem, and at the time you posted your message I was under the hood fixing it. I got the fan motor out and put a few drops of good quality machine oil on the bearings- its quiet now, but not sure how long it will last, though. The procedure is a little time consuming, but was not a problem if you are handy. The Bentley manual was indispensible, but had a few errors. Specifically, I had to remove the auxilliary positive battery terminal (since my 530i battery is in the trunk, your 535 may be OK). Also, the text says there are six bolts that hold the big blower shroud to the firewall- the picture shows only five. The picture is correct. Also, I found the white plastic strap that holds the small blower shroud was very brittle and it broke. I should have bought a replacement but was able to make do with a wire tie, since there is no big stress on this part. Hope this helps- it is a very do-able job if you are handy.<p>Taft<br>94 530i, 67K<p><br>: The heater fan in my '90 e34 has started to squeak intermittently (sounds just like a slipping fan belt).<p>: Happens mostly at the "2" setting, my usual selection.<p>: Going to "4" will sometimes stop it, but it's definitely getting worse and more frequent.<p>: Can anyone tell me what replacing/fixing the fan would involve? Time, money, parts availability, DIY project or dealer job, etc.<p>: Thanks.<p>: Joe<br>: '90 535i (186,000 miles and going strong...)<p>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index