Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Frank G
12-31-1998, 01:18 PM
I stopped using Exxon gas because the nozzle keeps shutting off when on automatic. This has happened at 3 different stations and only with Exxon. One of the attendents says he has problems with Bmws. Anybody else experience this with Exxon gas pumps?

David Grant
12-31-1998, 03:05 PM
I get this all the time. I don't know where you are but out in CA they have a gas fume recovery apparatus that makes it impossible to put the nozzle in and walk away. The apparatus is a black plastic shield that surrounds the nozzle. If I leave it, it pops out because the shield prevents the nozzle from going all the way in. Other states do not have or require this and those nozzles seem to work fine. I think it is in the BMW design myself because I don't have problems with other cars that I have had.<p><i>: I stopped using Exxon gas because the nozzle keeps shutting off when on automatic. This has happened at 3 different stations and only with Exxon. One of the attendents says he has problems with Bmws. Anybody else experience this with Exxon gas pumps?<p></i>

Bill Mitchell
12-31-1998, 10:41 PM
After I've stopped laughing, I decided to answer this post. I am in the gas business, (in fact, I sell Exxon, as well as Citgo, Conoco, and Pure), and I also repair some of my pumps. The type or brand of gasoline will have NOTHING to do with the performance of the nozzle. What causes the nozzle to shut off is a little tube within the main nozzle end. Next time you stop for gas, look in the business end and you'll see it. It ends with a small hole near the end of the nozzle, and when fuel covers this hole it causes the nozzle to trip and shut off the flow. They CAN malfunction, and that is why you should never leave the car while fueling since it might overflow and cause a big mess, not to mention a fire hazard. Trust me, the nozzle doesn't know one gas from another! <br>: I stopped using Exxon gas because the nozzle keeps shutting off when on automatic. This has happened at 3 different stations and only with Exxon. One of the attendents says he has problems with Bmws. Anybody else experience this with Exxon gas pumps?<p>

David Chen
12-31-1998, 10:56 PM
Try angling the pump handle towards the front of the car. That seems to relieve the back pressure that trips the auto shut-off feature.<p>David<p><i>: I stopped using Exxon gas because the nozzle keeps shutting off when on automatic. This has happened at 3 different stations and only with Exxon. One of the attendents says he has problems with Bmws. Anybody else experience this with Exxon gas pumps?<p></i>

frank g
01-02-1999, 12:23 AM
<br>I'm glad you got a good laugh albeit at the wrong thing. I was referring to the fact that the nozzle purchased by some Exxon stations is for some reasons incompatible, it appears, with something in the bmw design. Thanks for letting me know that the nozzle can't differentiate between different brands of gas, I always thought it could.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index