Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Rob
01-01-1999, 07:29 PM
I'm just toying with this notion...<p>Say my wife buys a new car and I take possesion of her '94 525ia. How hard/expensive would it be to convert it to a manual trans? Does the manual 525i have a different rear ratio than a auto? <p>I'm thinking I could use the '94 as my next treet/track car; however, I'd like it to perform a bit better. I suspect it would be cheaper to sell it and find a 530 or 540. (Preferably with a manual, but I never see manual equiped 5ers for sale.)<p>I have to admit swapping a '95 M's engine and trans in would be slick, but I suspect it would be very expensive.<p>Any thoughts? Anyone been-there-done-that?<br>

Scott Taylor
01-03-1999, 12:34 AM
<br><i>: I'm just toying with this notion...<p>: Say my wife buys a new car and I take possesion of her '94 525ia. How hard/expensive would it be to convert it to a manual trans? Does the manual 525i have a different rear ratio than a auto? <p>: I'm thinking I could use the '94 as my next treet/track car; however, I'd like it to perform a bit better. I suspect it would be cheaper to sell it and find a 530 or 540. (Preferably with a manual, but I never see manual equiped 5ers for sale.)<p>: I have to admit swapping a '95 M's engine and trans in would be slick, but I suspect it would be very expensive.<p>: Any thoughts? Anyone been-there-done-that?<p></i>There's a nice,1991 535i,90K,one-owner,5-speed<br>manual,dark green/tan int. at the BMW dealer here<br>in Salt lake city- very clean..asking $ 15,850.<br>ph;801-262-2479...(I'm looking for an automatic)<br>Scott.

Steve T
01-03-1999, 08:40 AM
The follwing URL relates to a guy who converted a 635iA to manual - same issues to deal with?? http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/modify.html<p>Checking with my Owner's Handbook tells me that the auto box uses a 0.74 5th speed ratio, compared with 1.00 for the manual, yet has about the same top speed.<p>The final drives are clearly different and if you don't change it out you will end up with a 4 speed plus overdrive set of ratios. Not ideal if you want to take the car to the track - but then, neither is the 2.5 engine! For road use, this could be OK I guess.<p>I am half-toying with doing the same in a 530i, possibly using am E28 2L 5 speed which i happen to own - if/when the current box gives up the ghost. For me 4+overdrive would be OK but I am not sure if a late 2L 5 speed manual is man enough for the torque of a 530i.<p>Steve<br><i>: I'm just toying with this notion...<p>

Steve T
01-03-1999, 02:34 PM
Sorry - correction <br>The final drives are 3.07 manual, 3.15 auto thus putting a manual box in a auto car leaves you with shorter gearing not taller as I had thought. <p>This is a probably good thing for everything except economy !<p>Steve<br>-----<br>you don't change it out you will end up with a 4 speed plus overdrive set of ratios.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index