Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Adnan
01-05-1999, 12:33 PM
Hi folks,<p>Is it possible to bump the engine over through the diagnostic connector when adjusting valves?<p>The car is a '91 535i with a 5-speed manual gearbox.<p>Thanks,<br>Adnan

Shawn Anderson
01-05-1999, 04:39 PM
<i>: Hi folks,<p>: Is it possible to bump the engine over through the diagnostic connector when adjusting valves?<p>: The car is a '91 535i with a 5-speed manual gearbox.<p>: Thanks,<br>: Adnan<p></i><p>Yes. This is from Brett Anderson's BMW page. You might want to visit it at http://www.bestweb.net/~bretta/valve_adjustment.htm<p><br>"Remove the valve cover and open the cap on the diagnostic connector. I use a wire with a reverse light switch inline to activate the starter remotely, you can make something similar , or just use a wire to jump the appropriate pins.<br>The pins you need to jump are numbers 11 and 14. These pins are the same numbers regardless of which type of diagnostic connector you have. Check these links for layout of the 15 pin and 20 pin diagnostic connectors."

Adnan
01-05-1999, 04:58 PM
Shawn,<p>Thanks for the information. I'll check out the link.<p>Adnan<p><i>: : Hi folks,<p>: : Is it possible to bump the engine over through the diagnostic connector when adjusting valves?<p>: : The car is a '91 535i with a 5-speed manual gearbox.<p>: : Thanks,<br>: : Adnan<p><br>: Yes. This is from Brett Anderson's BMW page. You might want to visit it at http://www.bestweb.net/~bretta/valve_adjustment.htm<p>: <br>: "Remove the valve cover and open the cap on the diagnostic connector. I use a wire with a reverse light switch inline to activate the starter remotely, you can make something similar , or just use a wire to jump the appropriate pins.<br>: The pins you need to jump are numbers 11 and 14. These pins are the same numbers regardless of which type of diagnostic connector you have. Check these links for layout of the 15 pin and 20 pin diagnostic connectors."<p></i>

slc1230
01-05-1999, 10:55 PM
Be sure to leave the car in neutral when you do this<br>SLC1230<br>(seen it happen)

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index