Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

ron
01-05-1999, 09:04 PM
My 89 525ia is idling around 550 rpms, and seems low when sitting at a light in Drive. Just experimenting with the brake applied, it seems a little smoother if i bring the rpms up to the 600-700 range. Right now the needle sits just over the 500 mark. From what i've seen on this board, should my rpms be closer to 650? What's the procedure for raising the idle a bit, or should i leave it alone? No problems otherwise. Thanks--<br>ron

John Orlando
01-06-1999, 08:05 PM
Ron,<p>I recently had an idle problem. See my message dated 12/23/98 on this board titled "question on engine management system".<p>I think the correct idle speed is 600 rpm or slightly higher (625, 650). My car did not idle well at 550 rpm. These numbers aren't based on actual measurements, but come from trying to carefully read the analog gauge. I think 550 is too low, and as you'll see in my message, I suggest "rebooting" the computer that controls your engine by disconnecting then reconnecting the battery leads. <p>The owner's manual stresses the importance of NOT having the ignition key turned on during any battery work.<p>Hope this helps.<p>john

ron
01-06-1999, 10:38 PM
<i>: Ron,<p>: I recently had an idle problem. See my message dated 12/23/98 on this board titled "question on engine management system".<p>: I think the correct idle speed is 600 rpm or slightly higher (625, 650). My car did not idle well at 550 rpm. These numbers aren't based on actual measurements, but come from trying to carefully read the analog gauge. I think 550 is too low, and as you'll see in my message, I suggest "rebooting" the computer that controls your engine by disconnecting then reconnecting the battery leads. <p>: The owner's manual stresses the importance of NOT having the ignition key turned on during any battery work.<p>: Hope this helps.<p>: john<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index