Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Roger
01-05-1999, 11:16 PM
My '91 525i headlights only go out periodically as I am driving down the road. Seems to be no consistentcy to it. They will either come back on themselves within 5 to 20 seconds or I can flick the highbeams several times and make them come back on. Anyone had this problem?

Hans TILLIE
01-06-1999, 02:53 AM
<i>: My '91 525i headlights only go out periodically as I am driving down the road. Seems to be no consistentcy to it. They will either come back on themselves within 5 to 20 seconds or I can flick the highbeams several times and make them come back on. Anyone had this problem?<p></i>Check your voltage regulator at the back of the alternator, or get both checked. And check your battery. Mine had a shortcircuited battery and I never even noticed it except for those flickering lights... (battery even had some cracks so it didn't explode but after 7 years, what the heck, the car now starts a lot quicker)And last week I changed the battery for a new one, and no more problems, weird but it's a fact.<p>Hope this helps, anyway it's not an expensive solution.<p>Hans.<p>'91 520iA 183.000km<br>'93 316i

dennis
01-06-1999, 05:00 AM
Check/resolder or replace the lamp control unit. It's under the hood, drivers e box side. Big black module on the outside side of the box.<br>

Andy Peavy
01-06-1999, 10:45 AM
I would agree to the other response that the Lamp Control Module is suspect.<p>Occasionally, my car's right light would go out and I wouldn't notice until it came back on. The answer I got from the Brett Anderson was the lamp control module.<p>One day while the hood was up, I tried to remove the LKM to see what it would take to open it up and look for any obvious problems. It wouldn't come out easily, so I just made sure it was pressed down correctly.<p>That was about 4 months ago. The lights have worked consistently since then.<p>Andy Peavy<br>91 535i<br>email: apeavy@yahoo.com<p><i>: My '91 525i headlights only go out periodically as I am driving down the road. Seems to be no consistentcy to it. They will either come back on themselves within 5 to 20 seconds or I can flick the highbeams several times and make them come back on. Anyone had this problem?<p></i>

Fred Meloan
01-06-1999, 10:47 AM
Roger:<p>I had exactly the same problem with my 89 525iA. It turned out that the soldering had cracked at the control unit and it was a minor job for my shop to re-solder the connections. That was about two years ago with no problems since.<p>Fred Meloan

Shawn Anderson
01-06-1999, 06:47 PM
<i>: Roger:<p>: I had exactly the same problem with my 89 525iA. It turned out that the soldering had cracked at the control unit and it was a minor job for my shop to re-solder the connections. That was about two years ago with no problems since.<p>: Fred Meloan<p></i><p><br>Right on. Take out the LKM and remove the board inside. look VERY closely at the back fo the 4 relays on the board and resolder. Should solve your problem.<p>Fixed my problem

ron
01-06-1999, 09:20 PM
<i>: My '91 525i headlights only go out periodically as I am driving down the road. Seems to be no consistentcy to it. They will either come back on themselves within 5 to 20 seconds or I can flick the highbeams several times and make them come back on. Anyone had this problem?<p></i>My 2 cents--it was the LCM on my 89 525i that caused my driver side low beam to visit me when it wanted to. BTW, all your lights are controlled by this little Hella circuit card. I had the car going in for an inspection anyway, so i asked them to look at the lo beam problem too. They resoldered the legs of all the relays (charged me $50 labor) and it worked great for about 2 weeks, then same thing again. This time i checked it out myself...it looked like Ray Charles did the soldering. I removed the globs and re-soldered it. I also put a small wedge of foam rubber on the edge of the circuit card since i believe it's the constant vibration of this card in its little plastic box that causes the solder to crack. Anyway, it's been almost 2 years without an LCM problem. And no, i didn't get my $50 back....yet.

Paul Chambers
01-16-1999, 07:59 AM
Thanks you guys I had the same damn problem, light flicking on and off, so anoying. Did as you said with the soldering of the circuit board and hey presto the problem has gone!!<p>Paul 535i SE `90

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index