Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

wayne maddox
01-07-1999, 11:58 AM
I have an 89 525i with the Pioneer factory sound system. I added the CD changer. I want to upgrade the speakers and possibly add an amplifier while still using the factory head unit.<p>Any suggestions on this?

Fred Meloan
01-07-1999, 12:14 PM
Wayne:<p>I'm not sure why you would want to do this as the 89 E34 Pioneer system with the Pioneer CD changer is pretty good for a factory system. All I can say is that the system in my 89 525 sounds a whole lot better than the Alpine system with Alpine CD changer in my 97 E39 540iA. <p>I really think you would have to spend an awful lot of money to make a significant improvement in the sound of 89 system and remember that your car's value won't increase as a result of any improvement in your sound system.<p>My $0.02.<p>Fred Meloan

ron
01-07-1999, 12:46 PM
<i>: Wayne:<p>: I'm not sure why you would want to do this as the 89 E34 Pioneer system with the Pioneer CD changer is pretty good for a factory system. All I can say is that the system in my 89 525 sounds a whole lot better than the Alpine system with Alpine CD changer in my 97 E39 540iA. <p>: I really think you would have to spend an awful lot of money to make a significant improvement in the sound of 89 system and remember that your car's value won't increase as a result of any improvement in your sound system.<p>: My $0.02.<p>: Fred Meloan<p></i>Fred, funny you mention this. Just gave a buddy of mine a ride to pick up his 97 528i from the dealer. He commented on how much more "punch" my stereo seemed to have (I've got the factory Pioneer unit and speakers with CDXM30 changer). His theory is that the newer ones have so much sound deadening material in them, that it affects the accoustics. I told him i'll trade cars even if he wants to....<p>ron<br>89 e34

Dean
01-07-1999, 05:09 PM
<br><i>: I have an 89 525i with the Pioneer factory sound system. I added the CD changer. I want to upgrade the speakers and possibly add an amplifier while still using the factory head unit.<p>: Any suggestions on this?<p></i>On this note, I have a 1995 525 and I want to add a CD changer. What are my options? One store said the Pioneer M series was the only option other than factory and that, in many cases, the M "may" not be compatible. I thought these were Alpine receivers in these cars anyway. Help! Thx!

Fred Sures
01-07-1999, 06:48 PM
<br>: I have an 89 525i with the Pioneer factory sound system. I added the CD changer. I want to upgrade the speakers and possibly add an amplifier while still using the factory head unit.<p>: Any suggestions on this?<br>There is an upgrade using ADS speakers and another amp. The last price I got on the up grade was around 2600.00 including installation. If you want more info let me know and I can post the components.

Dan Masucci
01-08-1999, 03:56 AM
If you want to upgrade you would really have to spend a bundle. However, you can add real punch and fidelity to the system by replacing the speakers. Yours are most likely shot - BMW speakers are junk to begin with.<p>I put a set of JBL components in the rear (5 1/2 and 1" tweeter); they all but dropped in to my 94-530; check and see what your set-up is. The JBL's were $180 total - and they added a bunch of bass.<p>I'm working on the fronts now. The 94-95's (and others?) have an odd size dash top mid. I tossed them (BMW wants $80 each and they're crap!). Installed 3 1/2" - slightly larger but only minor cutting required - and none of that shows with the grill back on. I'll replace the 5 1/2 kick panel speakers with a larger size as there is plenty of room. The door tweeters will also be upgraded.<p>To date, the rears and dash unit replacements have made a night and day difference in the quality of sound.<p>Dan Masucci<br>Lake Forest, CA<br>94 530i/5<br>94 540i/A <p><br><i>: I have an 89 525i with the Pioneer factory sound system. I added the CD changer. I want to upgrade the speakers and possibly add an amplifier while still using the factory head unit.<p>: Any suggestions on this?<p></i>

Jon Brush
01-08-1999, 11:57 AM
A few years back the Roundel had an article on upgrading the E34 by adding a bass booster and amp using the opening for the ski sack. I don't have that issue any more, but I recall that it was seen as a lower cost solution which could be removed when the car was sold or returned at the end of the lease. Maybe some of the CCAers on this board could find the issue and post the info. Or someone could contact the CCA library for a copy of the article.<br>BTW, I still like my stock system really well.<br>Jon<br>'92535i 5sp 67.7K<br>: I have an 89 525i with the Pioneer factory sound system. I added the CD changer. I want to upgrade the speakers and possibly add an amplifier while still using the factory head unit.<p>: Any suggestions on this?<p>

Bob Hazelwood
01-09-1999, 11:19 AM
Keeping the factory head unit, and installing upgraded speakers and amps works extremely well. The E34 wiring is very accessable, and there are a number of options to fit the factory openings. The E39 upgrade options listed on the a/d/s/ web-site http://www.adst.com are directly applicable to the E34. A full run-down is a little long for this board format, but I'd be happy to answere any questions privately that anybody might have.<p>Bob Hazelwood<br>VP Product Management, a/d/s/<br>'93 525i 5-sp., Sharked. BL/ss'd, etc.<br>BMW CCA (Boston)<p><i>: I have an 89 525i with the Pioneer factory sound system. I added the CD changer. I want to upgrade the speakers and possibly add an amplifier while still using the factory head unit.<p>: Any suggestions on this?<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index