Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Greg
01-08-1999, 12:22 AM
I would like to spice up the performance of my 540i. I've done tires, wheels, and a chip and would like some advice on the rest.

kjk
01-08-1999, 10:14 AM
<i>: I would like to spice up the performance of my 540i. I've done tires, wheels, and a chip and would like some advice on the rest.<p></i>I am sure you will get lots of opinions, but as far as the suspension, I would recommend Dinan. They are a bit expensive but their spring does not lower the car as much as H&R and Eibach-only 3/4" with most models. They now offer both Bilstein and Koni's with their suspension. I know they re-valve the Bilsteins, don't know about the Konis. If they don't modify the Konis, you may want to try and order their springs separately and buy the Konis somewhere else cheaper. Of course, this all depends on what you intend to do with the car. I just think for everyday street driving it is not necessary to lower the car 1.3". Find David Chen on this board or bmwm5.com and ask for his recommendation. He has a lot of experience with 540i's.

Andy Peavy
01-08-1999, 10:20 AM
I have Dinan's stage II suspension (w/ Bilstein). I would highly recommend it. I've seen many posts, both to here and the digest, that the stage II suspension is very harsh.<p>In a nutshell: <br>-I don't think it is.<br>-Ride preference is SUBJECTIVE and only relative to an individuals taste.<br>-the choice should be made on how the car is used.<br>-I would recommend getting a ride in different E34s with different suspensions.<p>If you live near Denver, I would be more than happy to take you for a test drive with my configuration.<p>Andy Peavy<br>91 535i<br>email: apeavy@yahoo.com<p>p.s. An exhaust upgrade will enhance the sounds, but not make too much impact on performance.<p><i>: I would like to spice up the performance of my 540i. I've done tires, wheels, and a chip and would like some advice on the rest.<p></i>

David Chen
01-08-1999, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the compliment but I don't know that much about upgrading the suspension or exhaust since I've done neither.<p>The factory exhaust is very good with air-flow and the only reasons for upgrading it are louder sound or lighter weight.<p>I second Andy's choice of the Dinan Stage II if you intend to do some serious track driving. Since you don't mention if your car is the 6-spd, then if you have the 5-spd auto, perhaps upgrading to the M-technic suspension will be sufficient. It will lower the car slightly and give you a "sportier" ride.<p>Cheers,<p>David<p><i>: : I would like to spice up the performance of my 540i. I've done tires, wheels, and a chip and would like some advice on the rest.<p>: I am sure you will get lots of opinions, but as far as the suspension, I would recommend Dinan. They are a bit expensive but their spring does not lower the car as much as H&R and Eibach-only 3/4" with most models. They now offer both Bilstein and Koni's with their suspension. I know they re-valve the Bilsteins, don't know about the Konis. If they don't modify the Konis, you may want to try and order their springs separately and buy the Konis somewhere else cheaper. Of course, this all depends on what you intend to do with the car. I just think for everyday street driving it is not necessary to lower the car 1.3". Find David Chen on this board or bmwm5.com and ask for his recommendation. He has a lot of experience with 540i's.<p></i>

Bill Mitchell
01-08-1999, 02:01 PM
I've tried to make my 540i/6 as close as possible to the Sport configuration as I can, and here's what I did: H&R Springs with Bilstein Sport shocks, and RDSport sway bars. The entire thing cost about $1000 plus another $150 for installation of springs/shocks. I considered Dinan but just couldn't justify the cost, and the H&R's with Bilsteins are a package so they are supposed to work well together. The best money I spend performance-wise was for the 3.15 LS differential at $650(used). I installed it myself in 1/2 day. The '99 540's now come with this ratio. Finding one might be the biggest problem, as Chris Barton has been looking for a while. Mine came from a 530i

Chris Barton
01-08-1999, 06:36 PM
Without a doubt the rear differential gearing change is the way to go (although if I didn't have the M Technic springs already slightly lowering me a bit, springs & shocks would be next on my list)But....being as I am something of a performance nut (my ex-wife had a different name for it, but I can't repeat it in mixed company)<br>I am constantly searching for more usuable power. I also found a guy in European Car magazine who's local to me that does custom bored Throttle Bodys. That and a Jim C. chip are in the very near future for me also. I havn't looked for a 3.15 diff in a couple of weeks but as of that time they were nowhere to be found. But BE CAREFUL I actually had one guy (can't remember who) telling me that a 750il diff would swap in and it had like a 4.10 or a 4.56 ratio!! He claimed that he had several customers that had swapped it in and it wasn't too much...Yeah Right, What a jerk! As for exhaust I'am considering just having my muffler guy remove the resonater to make it a little louder. (I can always have it put back on) I considered a Steebro cause they're all stainless, they use something like a "Disc Difuser" system where you can change them to make it quieter or louder and they're more reasonable (I was quoted like $650us the first time I called but the second time I called they quoted like $850.00 so I kinda put them on the back burner)<p>Oh yeah and I want a super charger for my birthday...:)<p>Chris Barton<br>1995 540i/6

Ted Getchell
01-11-1999, 05:38 PM
Re your comment <But BE CAREFUL I actually had one guy (can't remember who) telling me that a 750il diff would swap in and it had like a 4.10 or a 4.56 ratio!! He claimed that he had several customers that had swapped it in and it wasn't too much...Yeah Right, What a jerk!><p>The following is from an e-mail I just got from a BMW shop where I was looking for a 3.15 or 3.25 rear end for my '95 540iA.<p>"Closest stock diff I can find to what you're looking for is a 3.15 out of an '88 750il. It has the same case as the differential in your car and is the only car with a diff that size that comes with a ratio anywhere close to the 3.25. I can sell you a limited slip one of these for $600. You could have a custom diff made for your car as well and pick whatever ratio you like. Those cost $1800 exchange though and the core charge is $900. Since you don't have a limited slip to exchange as a core, you'd have to eat part of the core charge."<p>This all sounds pretty legit to me. Are you fairly sure about the fact that the 750iL is not correct for the car?<p>TIA for your opinion.<p>Ted<br>'95 540iA<p>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index