Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Patu
01-08-1999, 10:17 AM
I have starting problem with my '89 E34 520i, 145 000 km. Now here in Northern Europe the weather is getting colder and this is my first winter with this car. When starting my car after being out several hours, the engine usually starts after two or three 10-15 sec crancks. The weather is not extremely cold, from around zero to - 10 C<p>The car has been several times in BMW workshop. First time there was an error code from the the air flow meter. It was opened and cleaned. The error code didn't come back. Next time the idle valve was cleaned, it almoust removed the oscillating RPM problem after cold start. These repairs didn't solve the main problem. Now the BMW dealer don't know what to try next.<p>Any suggestions or similar problems?

Andy Peavy
01-08-1999, 10:25 AM
First of all, I don't know about non-US cars. That engine is not offered here with E34s.<p>Maybe with the colder temperatures, some seals are leaking and the fuel system is losing pressure. You would have to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail; wait overnight, then check the pressure.<p>Just a thought.<p>Andy Peavy<br>91 535i<br>email: apeavy@yahoo.com<p>p.s. It seems kind of weird that the dealer doesn't know what else to do. Maybe it is time to find a different dealer if there is one.<p><p><i>: I have starting problem with my '89 E34 520i, 145 000 km. Now here in Northern Europe the weather is getting colder and this is my first winter with this car. When starting my car after being out several hours, the engine usually starts after two or three 10-15 sec crancks. The weather is not extremely cold, from around zero to - 10 C<p>: The car has been several times in BMW workshop. First time there was an error code from the the air flow meter. It was opened and cleaned. The error code didn't come back. Next time the idle valve was cleaned, it almoust removed the oscillating RPM problem after cold start. These repairs didn't solve the main problem. Now the BMW dealer don't know what to try next.<p>: Any suggestions or similar problems?<p></i>

WillO
01-08-1999, 10:38 AM
<i>: I have starting problem with my '89 E34 520i, 145 000 km. Now here in Northern Europe the weather is getting colder and this is my first winter with this car. When starting my car after being out several hours, the engine usually starts after two or three 10-15 sec crancks. The weather is not extremely cold, from around zero to - 10 C<p>: The car has been several times in BMW workshop. First time there was an error code from the the air flow meter. It was opened and cleaned. The error code didn't come back. Next time the idle valve was cleaned, it almoust removed the oscillating RPM problem after cold start. These repairs didn't solve the main problem. Now the BMW dealer don't know what to try next.<p>: Any suggestions or similar problems?<p></i>I was tearing my hair out trying to find the problem, checking all the sensors and components. If only I had attached a vacuum gage I may have discovered my problem much sooner. Finally, I heard a whistling sound and knew I had a large vacuum leak. It was at the intake manifold to head. Check your vacuum and inspect ALL the hoses. <br>Try another dealer, there is a better one if the one you used did not know what to do next.<br>Another item is the coolant temp sensor, if thats out then the car could be hard to start.<br>Cars with 100k km have vacuum leaks, if the leaks are large enough you must correct them to avoid problems.<p>Will<br>88 325ix<br>91 525i

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index