Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index



PDA



Glen
01-08-1999, 02:58 PM
Hello all...<p>I apologise in advance for any redundancy in this post, I've touched upon this problem in the past but it remains a mysterious unresolved condition.<p>Earlier this winter I placed a post stating that the thumbwheel temperature control of my E34 '89 535i was behaving erratically. This is to say that 90% the action of the thumbwheel was reversed, turning it down to the blue dot (colder) resulted in HOT air, and conversely turning it up to the red dot (warmer) resulted in COLD air. The other 10% of the time it functioned as one would expect it to...yes, very peculiar.<p>Fast forward to my current dilemma. I can currently not get the centre vents to deliver any warm air what-so-ever. It has been -20?C to -30?C recently, and as such, any heat source is welcome. Unfortunately, air delivered from these vents seems to be about that of the outside air temperature.<p>The remainder of the HVAC system seems to be functioning well and produces plenty of heat for defrost and foot wells.<p>I assume that I am not alone on this issue as I've seen some similar problems in the past. If you've had similar experiences/problems PLEASE pass on any advise. <p>It would be greatly appreciated.<p><br>Thanks in advance.<p>Glen<br>E34 '89 535i<br>From the coldest city in N. America<br>Winnipeg, MB Canada.

Jon Brush
01-08-1999, 03:44 PM
Glen: here is a copy of my post from 1/5, which you can access directly below. There is a thread on this problem in the original 5ser board archives as well. All this is speculation on my part. Let us know if you make progress (I bet you're motivated as it's bad enough here in Boston MA with temps a good 30 - 40degC. above yrs....... brrrrr.)<p>Jon<p>Mine too: I posted this problem on the previous 5er board (before the E34 specific board) and Jim Cash suggested that the bowden cable ( which connects the thumbwheel to the flap controlling the temp) might be disconnected/otherwise inop. He stated that the upper end can be accessed by removing the radio, then unclipping the vent unit. According to my Bentley manual (if I understand correctly), the flap is behind the carpeted panel on the pass. side of the transmission hump. Someday I plan to look into this. Meanwhile I'm focusing on the intermittent miss/ASC issue discussed below (have to set priorities..... :^). <p>Anyone with experience, ideas on this, chime in pls.<p>Jon Brush<br>'92 535i 5sp 67.5 K<br>'90 Cairn Terrier, oversteers, high rpm miss<br>: Hello all...<p>: I apologise in advance for any redundancy in this post, I've touched upon this problem in the past but it remains a mysterious unresolved condition.<p>: Earlier this winter I placed a post stating that the thumbwheel temperature control of my E34 '89 535i was behaving erratically. This is to say that 90% the action of the thumbwheel was reversed, turning it down to the blue dot (colder) resulted in HOT air, and conversely turning it up to the red dot (warmer) resulted in COLD air. The other 10% of the time it functioned as one would expect it to...yes, very peculiar.<p>: Fast forward to my current dilemma. I can currently not get the centre vents to deliver any warm air what-so-ever. It has been -20?C to -30?C recently, and as such, any heat source is welcome. Unfortunately, air delivered from these vents seems to be about that of the outside air temperature.<p>: The remainder of the HVAC system seems to be functioning well and produces plenty of heat for defrost and foot wells.<p>: I assume that I am not alone on this issue as I've seen some similar problems in the past. If you've had similar experiences/problems PLEASE pass on any advise. <p>: It would be greatly appreciated.<p>: <br>: Thanks in advance.<p>: Glen<br>: E34 '89 535i<br>: From the coldest city in N. America<br>: Winnipeg, MB Canada.<p>


Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index