Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Ted Getchell
01-12-1999, 01:31 PM
I posted this on an older thread and didn't get a response, so I thought I would try it on its own.<p>I am thinking about replacing the diff in my car with 3.15 or thereabout LS unit. A comment in the earlier thread made it sound as if a 750iL diff will not work on my 540. Any experience out there with this particular mod?<p>The following is from an e-mail I just got from a BMW shop where I was looking for a 3.15 or 3.25 rear end for my '95 540iA.<p>"Closest stock diff I can find to what you're looking for is a 3.15 out of an '88 750il. It has the same case as the differential in your car and is the only car with a diff that size that comes with a ratio anywhere close to the 3.25. I can sell you a limited slip one of these for $600. You could have a custom diff made for your car as well and pick whatever ratio you like. Those cost $1800 exchange though and the core charge is $900. Since you don't have a limited slip to exchange as a core, you'd have to eat part of the core charge."<p>This all sounds pretty legit to me. Are you fairly sure about the fact that the 750iL is not correct for the car?<p>TIA for your opinion.<p>Ted<br>'95 540iA

Shawn Anderson
01-12-1999, 03:07 PM
This is a question I would post to the BMW-Digest (www.digest.net/bmw). Nothing against this board, it is very good, but the overall level of technical knowledge is much higher there. <p>Shawn Anderson<br>1990 535<p><br><i>: I posted this on an older thread and didn't get a response, so I thought I would try it on its own.<p>: I am thinking about replacing the diff in my car with 3.15 or thereabout LS unit. A comment in the earlier thread made it sound as if a 750iL diff will not work on my 540. Any experience out there with this particular mod?<p>: The following is from an e-mail I just got from a BMW shop where I was looking for a 3.15 or 3.25 rear end for my '95 540iA.<p>: "Closest stock diff I can find to what you're looking for is a 3.15 out of an '88 750il. It has the same case as the differential in your car and is the only car with a diff that size that comes with a ratio anywhere close to the 3.25. I can sell you a limited slip one of these for $600. You could have a custom diff made for your car as well and pick whatever ratio you like. Those cost $1800 exchange though and the core charge is $900. Since you don't have a limited slip to exchange as a core, you'd have to eat part of the core charge."<p>: This all sounds pretty legit to me. Are you fairly sure about the fact that the 750iL is not correct for the car?<p>: TIA for your opinion.<p>: Ted<br>: '95 540iA<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index