Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Steve
01-14-1999, 07:28 PM
While responding to another message it occurred to me to inform the American BMW enthusiasts how far their dollar would go in Canada. <p>The Auto Trader for European cars is loaded with BMW's of all years. Most are from dealers. but there are also private sales. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the prices are the same as in the US except THE PRICE IS IN CANADIAN DOLLARS!. A car for $15,000 Cdn is only $9,700 US.<p>I only wish I was paid in US $.<p>I found a beautiful 89 525i with 120,000 miles for $11,900 Cdn which is only $7,700 US. I take it to a BMW dealer and they cannot believe how nice of car it still is.<p>For this price a few repairs should be taken in stride when they occur. <p>The Auto Trader magazine is published weekly and can be mailed to your address. <p>

JOSE
01-14-1999, 09:40 PM
<p>: While responding to another message it occurred to me to inform the American BMW enthusiasts how far their dollar would go in Canada. <p>: The Auto Trader for European cars is loaded with BMW's of all years. Most are from dealers. but there are also private sales. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the prices are the same as in the US except THE PRICE IS IN CANADIAN DOLLARS!. A car for $15,000 Cdn is only $9,700 US.<p>: I only wish I was paid in US $.<p>: I found a beautiful 89 525i with 120,000 miles for $11,900 Cdn which is only $7,700 US. I take it to a BMW dealer and they cannot believe how nice of car it still is.<p>: For this price a few repairs should be taken in stride when they occur. <p>: The Auto Trader magazine is published weekly and can be mailed to your address. <p>Hi, according to KELLY BLUE BOOK, in the USA a similar car as the one you describe, <br>has a trade in value of $ 6935.00<p>Thank you<p>Jose <br>94 525ia<br>

David Chen
01-15-1999, 12:15 PM
In my experience, it's false economy to buy a Cdn BMW and import it to the U.S. Unless they're giving the car away, the only time where it makes sense to import is if you're moving from Canada to U.S. and thus be exempt from paying duty + taxes to U.S. Customs.<p>As well, with '96+ Canadian models, you'll need to apply for a special exemption from the U.S. EPA because the OBD-II doesn't meet the U.S. specs.<p>David<p><i>: While responding to another message it occurred to me to inform the American BMW enthusiasts how far their dollar would go in Canada. <p>: The Auto Trader for European cars is loaded with BMW's of all years. Most are from dealers. but there are also private sales. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the prices are the same as in the US except THE PRICE IS IN CANADIAN DOLLARS!. A car for $15,000 Cdn is only $9,700 US.<p>: I only wish I was paid in US $.<p>: I found a beautiful 89 525i with 120,000 miles for $11,900 Cdn which is only $7,700 US. I take it to a BMW dealer and they cannot believe how nice of car it still is.<p>: For this price a few repairs should be taken in stride when they occur. <p>: The Auto Trader magazine is published weekly and can be mailed to your address. <p></i>

Hans
01-20-1999, 11:06 AM
Cars are much cheaper in Canada than they are in the United States. For example, you can buy a nice 97 540 6spd for $55,000 with low kilometers. This equates to around $36,000 on straight exchange in US dollars, add the taxes and minimal duties and the car is still cheaper in Canada. The deal works best if you buy a car built in Canada and then ship it to the states. This is a huge racket in Canada right now. Cars are cheaper at full retail in Canada than the dealers' wholesale in the U.S. People are buying cars in Canada and shipping them to the states. Dealers in Canada hate this because the head office lays "charge back" fees on the Canadian dealers. Some dealers have charge backs amounting to over $250,000 for a given year. If you want proof of how sweet the deals are in Canada. I happened upon a 1992 BMW M5 with 25,000km for $36,000 cdn. Tell me where you can buy a mint M5 in the states with 15,000 miles for $24,000?

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index