Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Treat
01-16-1999, 12:40 AM
I've heard a lot about this and I've been waiting for something to happen (2nd owner bought at 32k) but it hasn't yet. I'm not sure what the procedure is and when the replacement deal expires for my car(94 530i 53K) Help me do the right thing so I don't miss the boat and end up with a V-8 that's only good for a mooring anchor.

Rod...
01-16-1999, 11:18 AM
<i>: I've heard a lot about this and I've been waiting for something to happen (2nd owner bought at 32k) but it hasn't yet. I'm not sure what the procedure is and when the replacement deal expires for my car(94 530i 53K) Help me do the right thing so I don't miss the boat and end up with a V-8 that's only good for a mooring anchor.<p></i>Go To: http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta/v8shortblock.htm

Ted
01-18-1999, 11:29 AM
BMW extended the warranty to 6 years and 100,000 miles for cars with the M60 engine. The main thing is to have a dealer test for the cylinder wear problem. Some cars with the problem evidently display a very rough idle, but my '95 540i seemed to run fine - it just failed the test and my new short block is on order.<p>There is a LOT of information on the web. The 530 site referenced below is a good place to start. One of their links lists engine block casting numbers that will let you determine with certainty whether or not your block has been replaced. Some early cars with the problem had blocks replaced with the same Nicasil (?) alloy. I would recommend checking out the casting number so that you will know exactly what you have and then talk to a dealer.<p>Cheers.<p>Ted<br>'95 540iA (new short block on the way)<p><i>: I've heard a lot about this and I've been waiting for something to happen (2nd owner bought at 32k) but it hasn't yet. I'm not sure what the procedure is and when the replacement deal expires for my car(94 530i 53K) Help me do the right thing so I don't miss the boat and end up with a V-8 that's only good for a mooring anchor.<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index