Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Rick
01-17-1999, 12:08 AM
I'm considering purchasing an '89 535i with 92k miles. Maintenance was well documented until 60k miles when last entry in the Service Booklet was made for a number II inspection. There are a few receipts for things like oil changes and minor problems after that, but no indication that a I or II inspection has been done since 60k miles. Recently the brakes were completely redone (new rotors, pads, and master cylinder).<p>I drove the car for an extended period and found it to be smooth, quiet and solid whether at idle, on rough city streets (brick), or at speed on the highway . Interior is in very good condition with on the driver's seat bottom (left thigh pad) showing slight wear. The paint is in fairly good condition, although there are a few scratches here and there. Everything seems to be working fine. Dealer says that $11,900 is his best price. Sound reasonable? Would appreciate any other thoughts you might have.

David Vukovich
01-17-1999, 12:23 AM
<i>: I'm considering purchasing an '89 535i with 92k miles. Maintenance was well documented until 60k miles when last entry in the Service Booklet was made for a number II inspection. There are a few receipts for things like oil changes and minor problems after that, but no indication that a I or II inspection has been done since 60k miles. Recently the brakes were completely redone (new rotors, pads, and master cylinder).<p>: I drove the car for an extended period and found it to be smooth, quiet and solid whether at idle, on rough city streets (brick), or at speed on the highway . Interior is in very good condition with on the driver's seat bottom (left thigh pad) showing slight wear. The paint is in fairly good condition, although there are a few scratches here and there. Everything seems to be working fine. Dealer says that $11,900 is his best price. Sound reasonable? Would appreciate any other thoughts you might have.<p></i>

David Vukovich
01-17-1999, 12:39 AM
I have an 89 535i with 149k on it. I bought it with 80k on the clock in May of 96 and paid 16,200 for it. Things to look for are: bad upper control arm bushings (you will feel a shake in the front end around 50-60 mph, even with not braking. I've also replaced the a/c condensor, fan clutch, cooling fan resistor (these almost always go bad, fortunately, they are only about 30 bucks. The positive side of this car is that the M30 motor is almost bulletproof. There are alot of modifications that can also be done to this car. I did things like cross drilled rotors, pagid brake pads, Milli Miglia MM11 5 spoke 16" rims, stainless steel brake lines, a Dinan chip (although there are several good ones out there)a K&N cone air filter, european side marker turn signal lights, etc. don't buy an automatic, it is a waste of good money. Good luck. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have further questions<p>

daniel
01-17-1999, 12:07 PM
<i>: I'm considering purchasing an '89 535i with 92k miles. Maintenance was well documented until 60k miles when last entry in the Service Booklet was made for a number II inspection. There are a few receipts for things like oil changes and minor problems after that, but no indication that a I or II inspection has been done since 60k miles. Recently the brakes were completely redone (new rotors, pads, and master cylinder).<p>: I drove the car for an extended period and found it to be smooth, quiet and solid whether at idle, on rough city streets (brick), or at speed on the highway . Interior is in very good condition with on the driver's seat bottom (left thigh pad) showing slight wear. The paint is in fairly good condition, although there are a few scratches here and there. Everything seems to be working fine. Dealer says that $11,900 is his best price. Sound reasonable? Would appreciate any other thoughts you might have.<p></i>

daniel
01-17-1999, 12:18 PM
Hey Rick!<p>If your buying from a reputable BMW dealer, the price doesn't sound bad (they normally make sure things are "right"). I just totaled an '89 535i on ice in Minneapolis last Saturday so I'm working hard on figuring out the value for insurance compensation. I searched for 535i's at www.cars.com and found 37 ranging in price from $8,900 to $24,000. Check www.edmunds.com for value. If it's not a BMW dealer I would try to get the price down a little. If it is, check also the muffler and heat shield for rust, front end shimmy (bushings) dash lights, radiator for leaks, rumble in drive shaft, oil pan gasket for leaks (all things that went bad on mine). If you notice any of these to be suspect, ask for them to be fixed or deducted from the price.<p>By the way, I crashed with 200,500 miles on it and it ran perfect. On Wednesday I bought a '95 540i! You'll love the car.<p><i>: I'm considering purchasing an '89 535i with 92k miles. Maintenance was well documented until 60k miles when last entry in the Service Booklet was made for a number II inspection. There are a few receipts for things like oil changes and minor problems after that, but no indication that a I or II inspection has been done since 60k miles. Recently the brakes were completely redone (new rotors, pads, and master cylinder).<p>: I drove the car for an extended period and found it to be smooth, quiet and solid whether at idle, on rough city streets (brick), or at speed on the highway . Interior is in very good condition with on the driver's seat bottom (left thigh pad) showing slight wear. The paint is in fairly good condition, although there are a few scratches here and there. Everything seems to be working fine. Dealer says that $11,900 is his best price. Sound reasonable? Would appreciate any other thoughts you might have.<p></i>

David Grant
01-17-1999, 01:40 PM
I purchased my 89 535i with 62k on it in July of 1997. I paid $15.5k. I wouldn't pay the anybody much over wholesale blue book, if anything. Perhaps $500 over if it is in really good shape. Also keep in mind that you can't go by the Kelley Blue Book website for the wholesale blue book price -- they don't list it. You have to get an actual blue book -- that's what the dealer works from. Also, try to get a 60 day warranty from the dealer, that's worth a little. Otherwise I like to buy private party because you know who you are buying it from, and whether he/she looks like the type that took care of it.<p><i>: I'm considering purchasing an '89 535i with 92k miles. Maintenance was well documented until 60k miles when last entry in the Service Booklet was made for a number II inspection. There are a few receipts for things like oil changes and minor problems after that, but no indication that a I or II inspection has been done since 60k miles. Recently the brakes were completely redone (new rotors, pads, and master cylinder).<p>: I drove the car for an extended period and found it to be smooth, quiet and solid whether at idle, on rough city streets (brick), or at speed on the highway . Interior is in very good condition with on the driver's seat bottom (left thigh pad) showing slight wear. The paint is in fairly good condition, although there are a few scratches here and there. Everything seems to be working fine. Dealer says that $11,900 is his best price. Sound reasonable? Would appreciate any other thoughts you might have.<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index