Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Greg
01-18-1999, 12:41 AM
I'm searching for an E34 535i with 5 speed, ralatively low mileage, in decent condition. Does anyone have one for sale?<p>Also, what big $ problems should I look out for when buying one of these?<p>Thanks,<br>Greg

Scott Taylor
01-18-1999, 12:08 PM
<br><i>: I'm searching for an E34 535i with 5 speed, ralatively low mileage, in decent condition. Does anyone have one for sale?<p>: Also, what big $ problems should I look out for when buying one of these?<p>: Thanks,<br>: Greg<p></i>Greg,<br> There is (last week anyway) a very nice 91 535i<br>here in Salt Lake City at the bmw dealers used lot.(801)262-2479.It's a one owner(doctor),dark-<br>green ext. tan int.,sunroof,5-speed manual,traction control,90,000miles,dealer serviced, 6-cd player,asking 15,850. To me,this<br>is an unusually nice speciman,the ext. and int.<br>are in unusually nice condition.It drove veeery<br>nicely also. Why did'nt I buy it? I want an automatic (boo-hiss,yeah I know..) and I am currently educating myself about 535s with the hope of buying one in 6-12 months when $$$ picture<br>looks brighter.<br> From everything I've read so far from many different sources..the E34s are GREAT cars and <br>quite reliable.(microsoft's "car-point" rates the<br>91 535i Best of luxury class in reliability and they have quite a statistical database.) The engine in the 535 is the vaunted "big-six",possibly their best engine ever,it has<br>timing chain (not belt) so you donthave to worry about that.And from what I've read so-far the transmissions are supposed to be great also(dont know if there's any nuances year to year or diff's<br>between auto/manual yet...)<br> The early years..89,90.. had problems with compu<br>ter chips (700 per to replace) watch for erratic<br>displays,dim readouts etc.. another common problem<br>is front suspension,control arms,etc.. (not too costly) I've also read that the mileage (digital)<br>can be manipulated, so be wary...run the VIN #<br>thru a bmw dealers computer to verify maint. and miles. small electrical things like headrests can<br>be problematic but not major. Well.. that's about all I can think of... GOOD-LUCK !! <br>PS; If you buy the one in Salt -Lake and need someone to drive it "home" (the farther away the better) let me know :-) Scott. PPS; I can video<br>tape it for you inside and out if necessary.

Ed
01-18-1999, 12:30 PM
Hey Scott I got a hunch you are a salesman at the dealership you are referring to and I'll tell you what gives you away. You say that you are currently educating yourself on 535s yet your message has too much in depth information to match the profile of the prospective buyer that you are pretending to be. If I am wrong on this hunch, I apologize. Your mileage remark prevents me from being 100% sure.<br>

Scott Taylor
01-18-1999, 10:33 PM
<br><i>: Hey Scott I got a hunch you are a salesman at the dealership you are referring to and I'll tell you what gives you away. You say that you are currently educating yourself on 535s yet your message has too much in depth information to match the profile of the prospective buyer that you are pretending to be. If I am wrong on this hunch, I apologize. Your mileage remark prevents me from being 100% sure.<p></i>Easy-there,ED....<br> I accept your apology as your "hunch" is wrong.<br>Thank you on your compliment of my "in-depth<br>knowledge"! If anyone is pretending to be anything it is you pretending to be Sherlock Holmes. I am not nor have I ever been a car salesman (that's low). I AM a carpenter/woodworker/remodelor doing my thing here in beautiful Salt Lake City.I like to learn things and share knowledge with others!<br>I am a voracious reader and a quick learner with an unusually high retention ability.I am eagerly<br>learning all that I can about E34s (535s in particular) and am planning on buying one as soon as I can afford to (6-12 months out).I ideally would like a 535 ,1991,automatic,sunroof,traction-<br>control,c.d-changer, simple wheels,well-maintained,low-mileage,garage kept<br>model in silver,grey, silver-blue or white. If anyone out there has one please E-mail me ,I will<br>give it a good home!<br> The car I mentioned earlier (here at the dealer)<br>IS an unusually nice speciman,that's why I have mentioned it several times in other responses having to do with 535 manuals.I am just trying to be helpfull!!!!! I have bought and sold maybe 25<br>cars for my personal use over the years, ( one a 320i in Australia) and know a nice one when I see one! I would'nt have any Qualms about buying one in another state and have been considering the Canada option as well.Hence my offer to video the car for Greg.Hey... my impression so far is that most of the people that post here are sincere and<br>very helpfull and I have learned alot in a short time and I am glad to return what I can and contribute what I can.....Ed- I think that the<br>info I gave in reply to Gregs question was pertinent.....perhaps YOU could add something<br>RELEVENT to the thread and help him with his questions?? Scott(pretending to be...well..Scott.)

Scott Taylor
01-19-1999, 10:21 AM
<br><i>: <br>: : Hey Scott I got a hunch you are a salesman at the dealership you are referring to and I'll tell you what gives you away. You say that you are currently educating yourself on 535s yet your message has too much in depth information to match the profile of the prospective buyer that you are pretending to be. If I am wrong on this hunch, I apologize. Your mileage remark prevents me from being 100% sure.<p>: Easy-there,ED....<br>: I accept your apology as your "hunch" is wrong.<br>: Thank you on your compliment of my "in-depth<br>: knowledge"! If anyone is pretending to be anything it is you pretending to be Sherlock Holmes. I am not nor have I ever been a car salesman (that's low). I AM a carpenter/woodworker/remodelor doing my thing here in beautiful Salt Lake City.I like to learn things and share knowledge with others!<br>: I am a voracious reader and a quick learner with an unusually high retention ability.I am eagerly<br>: learning all that I can about E34s (535s in particular) and am planning on buying one as soon as I can afford to (6-12 months out).I ideally would like a 535 ,1991,automatic,sunroof,traction-<br>: control,c.d-changer, simple wheels,well-maintained,low-mileage,garage kept<br>: model in silver,grey, silver-blue or white. If anyone out there has one please E-mail me ,I will<br>: give it a good home!<br>: The car I mentioned earlier (here at the dealer)<br>: IS an unusually nice speciman,that's why I have mentioned it several times in other responses having to do with 535 manuals.I am just trying to be helpfull!!!!! I have bought and sold maybe 25<br>: cars for my personal use over the years, ( one a 320i in Australia) and know a nice one when I see one! I would'nt have any Qualms about buying one in another state and have been considering the Canada option as well.Hence my offer to video the car for Greg.Hey... my impression so far is that most of the people that post here are sincere and<br>: very helpfull and I have learned alot in a short time and I am glad to return what I can and contribute what I can.....Ed- I think that the<br>: info I gave in reply to Gregs question was pertinent.....perhaps YOU could add something<br>: RELEVENT to the thread and help him with his questions?? Scott(pretending to be...well..Scott.)<p></i>Good morning Fivers;<br> It was brought to my attention this morning (by<br>someone pretending ? to be a car salesman at the<br>local Bimmer store) that the car I've dribbled-on<br>so much about WAS sold last week.<br>PS; I apologize for my remark about car salespeople. Scott

Roger Nye
01-21-1999, 06:56 PM
Scott: I bought an '89 535 about 2 years ago to replace an aging '80 635. Both 5spds. Don't have one for sale. Abt possible repairs, around 100k+ it is likely that you'll need several things;radiator;hoses;water pump;rotors & pads;possibly a/c comp.;probably struts;clutch. These items either were changed by me or previous owner. If you're looking at an auto, have it thoroughly checked out, they're expensive and usually don't last to 150k. Sounds like a lot of repair work, and is pricey if you have someone else do it all. However, other than these, they were both solid and reliable cars, quick and great handlers.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index