Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Richard
01-18-1999, 01:17 AM
I am considering buying a 1989 525ia with 87k miles and am interested in hearing experiences of other owners. Positives, negatives, horror stories, recommendations etc. The car has 87k miles on it and i am payiong $8,500 thanks for your imput

ron
01-18-1999, 11:26 PM
<i>: I am considering buying a 1989 525ia with 87k miles and am interested in hearing experiences of other owners. Positives, negatives, horror stories, recommendations etc. The car has 87k miles on it and i am payiong $8,500 thanks for your imput<p></i>Richard, i've got an 89 525i also, it now has 108K. I can honestly say it's one of the best cars i've owned. I was convinced i HAD to have the 535i, but i found this car for thousands less, and its condition and the way it ran sold me. The positives are pretty obvious, you get a 37K car for $8500, it's loaded and still turns heads 10 years later. The negatives are the prices for parts/labor. My advice is get educated, know exactly what to ask for and where to shop, and ask many questions on this board BEFORE you take it to the dealer and drastically help the economy. Big ticket items include timing belt/tensioner changes (about the only horror story if you neglect it), ANY tranny work, the self-leveling wizardry in the rear, exhaust components, and the made-by-bosch-only sensors. Luckily they last pretty long. Have it checked out thoroughly and i don't think you could get hurt on it. Happy cruzin--<br>ron<br>89 525i

m3niko
01-19-1999, 07:10 PM
I bought an '89 525ia over 3 years ago with 92K miles. It now has 120K miles and still runs like a champ. MAKE SURE you change the timing belt every 60K miles. If not, I guarantee it will break and cost thousands of dollars to repair. But that is a normal maintenance item for that car. The only major problems mine has had was the front seal on the tranny blowing out (caught it just in time before any damage occured to the tranny) and a worn out muffler. Otherwise, the car has been great and very reliable.<p>Nick<p><i>: I am considering buying a 1989 525ia with 87k miles and am interested in hearing experiences of other owners. Positives, negatives, horror stories, recommendations etc. The car has 87k miles on it and i am payiong $8,500 thanks for your imput<p></i>

Jose
01-19-1999, 09:42 PM
<p>: I bought an '89 525ia over 3 years ago with 92K miles. It now has 120K miles and still runs like a champ. MAKE SURE you change the timing belt every 60K miles. If not, I guarantee it will break and cost thousands of dollars to repair. But that is a normal maintenance item for that car. The only major problems mine has had was the front seal on the tranny blowing out (caught it just in time before any damage occured to the tranny) and a worn out muffler. Otherwise, the car has been great and very reliable.<p>: Nick<p>: : I am considering buying a 1989 525ia with 87k miles and am interested in hearing experiences of other owners. Positives, negatives, horror stories, recommendations etc. The car has 87k miles on it and i am payiong $8,500 thanks for your imput<p>Does BMW builds engines with a timing belt?<p>Jose <br>94525ia<br>

m3niko
01-19-1999, 10:57 PM
Yes, some did have timing belts, like the 2valve per cylinder 2.5L sixes (like in my '89 525i). Since yours is a '94 525i, it has the M50 6-cylinder. That engine uses a timing chain, not belt.<p>Nick<p><i><br>: : I bought an '89 525ia over 3 years ago with 92K miles. It now has 120K miles and still runs like a champ. MAKE SURE you change the timing belt every 60K miles. If not, I guarantee it will break and cost thousands of dollars to repair. But that is a normal maintenance item for that car. The only major problems mine has had was the front seal on the tranny blowing out (caught it just in time before any damage occured to the tranny) and a worn out muffler. Otherwise, the car has been great and very reliable.<p>: : Nick<p>: : : I am considering buying a 1989 525ia with 87k miles and am interested in hearing experiences of other owners. Positives, negatives, horror stories, recommendations etc. The car has 87k miles on it and i am payiong $8,500 thanks for your imput<p>: Does BMW builds engines with a timing belt?<p>: Jose <br>: 94525ia<p></i>

Theo
01-23-1999, 09:03 PM
I also have an 89 525ia with 140k. It is an excellent automobile though it does not match the 535 in acceleration. Along with the other things that have been said, please thouroughly check the AC system; another $$$ repair. Also, make sure front end bushings and thrust arms are in good shape.<p>Theo

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index