Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Ian Gordon
01-18-1999, 01:19 AM
I have a 95 540 with stock wheels and I am looking for an upgrade. However, I understand that for example I can not fit the E39 540 stock wheel on the car. How about the stock wheel off the 740? And what are the wheel specs that determine if a particular wheel fits on a particular vehicle anyway? <p>Thanks in advance for your responses... <br>

David Chen
01-18-1999, 12:15 PM
Wheels for older 5,6,7,8 and E30 M3 will fit your car. Basically anything with 5X120 bolt pattern and 10-22mm offset.<p>You can use E39 5-series wheels with an adapter but I wouldn't recommend it. You can also use E36 wheels with a 20mm spacer but again, it's not my first (or second) choice.<p>David<p>

Ian Gordon
01-18-1999, 03:01 PM
David, thanks for your reply. When you say older, what year range did the 7-series use the 17 inch wheel that would fit without spacers?<p>.............<p><i>: Whels for older 5,6,7,8 and E30 M3 will fit your car. Basically anything with 5X120 bolt pattern and 10-22mm offset.<p>: You can use E39 5-series wheels with an adapter but I wouldn't recommend it. You can also use E36 wheels with a 20mm spacer but again, it's not my first (or second) choice.<p>: David<p></i>

hans
01-18-1999, 04:13 PM
Putting an adapter on the wheels off a new car works just fine. The newer car has a larger hub bore, so you need to use a centering ring. Works just fine. 17" wheels have never come stock on a 7 series. Anything from 89-99 from a 5 or 7 series works great. 8 series maybe.<p>Hans

Ted
01-18-1999, 08:59 PM
Ian, I wanted to find a Plus 1 or Plus 2 wheel and tire combo for my '95 540iA with the idea of improving handling (which is VERY good stone cold stock) during driver's school outings. After several months of looking around, reading and asking questions, I decided to purchase a set of four 8" x 17" forged BMW OE wheels from Bavarian Autosport. I believe that the wheels I bought were original stock wheels on the earlier M5. The Bavarian part number is 36 11 2 226 706 L and ... 706 R (different left and right wheels). See the Style O in their catalog. They are fairly expensive at about $500 each, but this includes ALL the parts like hub cap, stems, etc., and they are forged construction which makes them very strong for their weight. The price is a little better than my dealer would offer, competitive with other high quality wheels and very convenient, especially since I ordered them with tires mounted, balanced and ready to go. I know that there are many other good wheels available, but I found that I was most comfortable with the idea of driving my car at speed on the track with BMW wheels under me.<p>This wheel allows a 235/45 17" tire which is Plus 1 from stock (a little wider and with a shorter sidewall for less flex under high cornering loads). I put on Pirelli P-Zeros which did great at my one and only track event since I bought them. Stock wheels and tires are now back on the car for the winter.<p>If you want, you can go to a 17 X 9 wheel on the rear with (I think) 245/40 X 17 tires. All of this info is actually in your owner's manual, but you have to look kind of hard to figure it out.<p>Anyway, this is one way to go that works and these wheels look great on the car (IMHO). Handling is improved at the limits with no noticeable degradation in ride quality. I have noticed that the wider tires on front seem to cause the car to want to follow road imperfections a little bit.<p>Hope you find this useful.<p>Ted<br>'95 540iA<p><br><i>: I have a 95 540 with stock wheels and I am looking for an upgrade. However, I understand that for example I can not fit the E39 540 stock wheel on the car. How about the stock wheel off the 740? And what are the wheel specs that determine if a particular wheel fits on a particular vehicle anyway? <p>: Thanks in advance for your responses... <p></i>

Bill Mitchell
01-18-1999, 10:38 PM
I second the suggestion for the M5 type wheels(throwing star) NOT the turbine type. Actually, the wheels are the same, just the covers are different. I'm running 17X8 fronts and 17X9 rears, with 265/40-17 tires on the rear. They fit fine, and do not rub. I'm running 235/45-17's on front.<br>

Tim Clarke
01-21-1999, 11:34 AM
<i>: I second the suggestion for the M5 type wheels(throwing star) NOT the turbine type. Actually, the wheels are the same, just the covers are different. I'm running 17X8 fronts and 17X9 rears, with 265/40-17 tires on the rear. They fit fine, and do not rub. I'm running 235/45-17's on front.<p></i><br>I have the turbine version on my 535, with 235 zr45 17 on the front and 255 ZR 40 17 on the rear.<p>I have just fitted Dinan uprated thrust arm bushes and idler arm to reduce the effect of the wider rubber on bad road surfaces.<p>The turbine versions are 'meant' to put air onto the rotors but I am not sure how well that works.<p>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index