Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

daniel
01-18-1999, 01:55 AM
<i>My '95 540i has the check engine light on. I turn the ignition to position 2, hit full throttle five times and got code "1263". I'm trying to track down a Bently manual (dealer was out, Amazon.com next place) but in the meantime my cheap Haynes manual for my old 535i says 1263 is for the "Tank vent." I don't see "tank vent" anywhere in the diagnoses, but is this code for a '95 540i for the electrically operated purge valve for the EVAP system? What's the best diagnosis? Thanks!<br></i>

Jon Brush
01-18-1999, 10:39 AM
The Bentley manual liests code 1263 as Fuel tank evaporative system (EVAP). Close enough to vent for me! The manual sends you to the section on the fuel tank and pump, etc., but there is nothing there specifically on the EVAP system, exept a diagram indicating that there is an expansion tank from which a hose leads to the evaporative charcoal canister. <p>Hope this helps. <p>Jon Brush '92 535i 5sp 67.5Kmi<p><p><i>: My '95 540i has the check engine light on. I turn the ignition to position 2, hit full throttle five times and got code "1263". I'm trying to track down a Bently manual (dealer was out, Amazon.com next place) but in the meantime my cheap Haynes manual for my old 535i says 1263 is for the "Tank vent." I don't see "tank vent" anywhere in the diagnoses, but is this code for a '95 540i for the electrically operated purge valve for the EVAP system? What's the best diagnosis? Thanks!<p></i>

David Chen
01-18-1999, 12:21 PM
A couple of days after I made an appointment to look into the 1263 engine code, my fuel tank collapsed on itself, making an 80 litre tank into a 40 litre one and requiring a tow to the shop.<p>The venting was completely clogged for some reason and the collapsed tank took the fuel pump, sender unit and other goodies with it. Took the dealer a week to get a replacement tank from Germany. Surprisingly, the OBC range function is now more accurate.<p>David<p>

Adnan
01-19-1999, 07:06 PM
I may be off base on this but I remember reading somewhere that topping off the tank when filling leads to fuel getting into the charcoal canister thereby impacting venting.<p>Perhaps a simple test may be to unhook the canister and see if things change. Don't know how much a new canister will cost but that may be a quick solution.<p>Adnan<p><i>: My '95 540i has the check engine light on. I turn the ignition to position 2, hit full throttle five times and got code "1263". I'm trying to track down a Bently manual (dealer was out, Amazon.com next place) but in the meantime my cheap Haynes manual for my old 535i says 1263 is for the "Tank vent." I don't see "tank vent" anywhere in the diagnoses, but is this code for a '95 540i for the electrically operated purge valve for the EVAP system? What's the best diagnosis? Thanks!<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index