Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Chris T
01-18-1999, 04:45 AM
I have a 90 525i and have noticed that my front suspension is clunky. I have replaced the control arm bushings. the clunk seems to be the worst when driving ie. over a spedbump or into a driveway. any ideas on what this could be?

dennis jeong
01-18-1999, 04:54 AM
<i>: I have a 90 525i and have noticed that my front suspension is clunky. I have replaced the control arm bushings. the clunk seems to be the worst when driving ie. over a spedbump or into a driveway. any ideas on what this could be?<p></i><p>Did you install the bushing facing the arrows?<p>Did you torque the arms with the front suspension loaded? (car weight)<p>Check the top strut nut and the strut mounting bolts for correct torque.<p>Good luck!<br>Dennis

Fred Sures
01-18-1999, 06:26 PM
<br>: I have a 90 525i and have noticed that my front suspension is clunky. I have replaced the control arm bushings. the clunk seems to be the worst when driving ie. over a spedbump or into a driveway. any ideas on what this could be?<p>Check and see if the strut insert does't need to be tightened. It can be done on the car very easily

Vikram
01-18-1999, 10:07 PM
Chris,<p>Check out Brett Anderson's web site for more info on this problem. The URL is: http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta/BMW.html<p>He has an entry for the problem you are having under the 'E34' link.<p>Hope that helps,<br>Vikram

Andy Peavy
01-19-1999, 11:50 AM
Check front sway bar down-links.<p><i>: I have a 90 525i and have noticed that my front suspension is clunky. I have replaced the control arm bushings. the clunk seems to be the worst when driving ie. over a spedbump or into a driveway. any ideas on what this could be?<p></i>

DRM
01-20-1999, 09:33 AM
Last fall I bought a '90 535i with a similar clunk, initially diagnosed as a lower ball joint. This was replaced, but the clunk remained although the charachter of it was different. Next diagnosis was a control arm, which has the thrust bushing at one end and a ball joint at the other. Replaced arm and bushing. Load clunk disappeared, only to uncover two other, not-so-loud clunks. I'm about to replace one front sway bar link (the other was new a few months before I bought it) and both rear sway bar links.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index