Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Kiani
01-18-1999, 09:28 PM
Has anyone replaces there radio antenna with something that works? I am convinced that the reason the AM/FM reception on my 91 525 is so poor is the rear window mounted antenna. I have been thinking that I could replace it with a short whip style that many of the later VW are using. The VW antenna mounts at the rear center of the roof and I would think should be easy to connect to the existing BMW wires. Any ideas? Any solutions? <p>Thanks,<br>

mike
01-19-1999, 03:25 PM
hm, isn't there a built in amplifier for the antenna? - my built in ant. works really very good! Did you give the amp. power?<br>(sometimes via the core of the ant. cable)<br>

WillO
01-19-1999, 04:25 PM
<i>: hm, isn't there a built in amplifier for the antenna? - my built in ant. works really very good! Did you give the amp. power?<br>: (sometimes via the core of the ant. cable)<p></i>

Joe Mazza
01-20-1999, 09:22 AM
I agree that the in-window antenna gives poorer reception than a whip, at least in AM. <p>I had always been disappointed by my '90 535i's reception, but now I know for sure it's sub-par.<p>I know because I moved to Baltimore a few years ago which has no all-news AM station. Since I like the news, I often tried to tune in Washington, DC's all-news station (AM 1500) but could never pull it out of the static. I wrote this off to geography until I was forced to rent a Geo Metro for a period of time. Its stock radio with the stock whip pulled in the DC station loud and clear, every time.<p>(BTW, I had the dealer check the antenna amp and he said it checked out okay.)<p>Joe Mazza<br>'90 535i 187,000+ miles and going strong...

Clifton Lovell
01-21-1999, 02:19 PM
<br>: I agree that the in-window antenna gives poorer reception than a whip, at least in AM. <p>: I had always been disappointed by my '90 535i's reception, but now I know for sure it's sub-par.<p>: I know because I moved to Baltimore a few years ago which has no all-news AM station. Since I like the news, I often tried to tune in Washington, DC's all-news station (AM 1500) but could never pull it out of the static. I wrote this off to geography until I was forced to rent a Geo Metro for a period of time. Its stock radio with the stock whip pulled in the DC station loud and clear, every time.<p>: (BTW, I had the dealer check the antenna amp and he said it checked out okay.)<p>: Joe Mazza<br>: '90 535i 187,000+ miles and going strong...<p>

Clifton Lovell
01-21-1999, 02:30 PM
<br>: I agree that the in-window antenna gives poorer reception than a whip, at least in AM. <p>: I had always been disappointed by my '90 535i's reception, but now I know for sure it's sub-par.<p>: I know because I moved to Baltimore a few years ago which has no all-news AM station. Since I like the news, I often tried to tune in Washington, DC's all-news station (AM 1500) but could never pull it out of the static. I wrote this off to geography until I was forced to rent a Geo Metro for a period of time. Its stock radio with the stock whip pulled in the DC station loud and clear, every time.<p>: (BTW, I had the dealer check the antenna amp and he said it checked out okay.)<p>: Joe Mazza<br>: '90 535i 187,000+ miles and going strong...<p>I have a1989 525i. I agree that the window antenna is a waste of time. The original radio in my car was defective so I replaced it with a Sony. Of course the Sony did not have the BMW connecting harness, so I installed a motorised antenna on the left rear fender. This involved installing an antenna cable and power lines. It works excellent.<p>Clifton

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index