Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Adnan
01-20-1999, 02:05 PM
Hi folks,<p>Time to replace the spark plugs on my '91 535i and it seems that most stores carry the Bosch Platinum plugs, not the standard W8LCR.<p>Is it okay to use the platinum plugs? I seem to have read somewhere that it's not a good idea. Suggestions?<p>Thanks in advance,<br>Adnan

Shawn Anderson
01-20-1999, 02:12 PM
I wouldn't use the platinums. I have never used them myself, but from everything I have read (and it's been talked about a lot), they will get fouled and stop working in the M30 3.5L engine. You should stay with the Bosch Silvers. They are expensive, but work well.<p>This was just discussed on the BMW Digest and Brett Anderson said the Platinums don't work well due to the very small area where they fire. This allows them to foul easily in the M30 engine. <p>Shawn Anderson<br>1990 535, 160,000 miles<p><br><i>: Hi folks,<p>: Time to replace the spark plugs on my '91 535i and it seems that most stores carry the Bosch Platinum plugs, not the standard W8LCR.<p>: Is it okay to use the platinum plugs? I seem to have read somewhere that it's not a good idea. Suggestions?<p>: Thanks in advance,<br>: Adnan<p></i>

Taft
01-20-1999, 03:23 PM
I agree- I tried platinum plugs in my '85 635CSi (same motor as yours) and they gave me lots of trouble (fouling, missing, rough idle, etc). I suggest doing more homework and find the proper plugs.<p>Taft<p>: I wouldn't use the platinums. I have never used them myself, but from everything I have read (and it's been talked about a lot), they will get fouled and stop working in the M30 3.5L engine. You should stay with the Bosch Silvers. They are expensive, but work well.<p>: This was just discussed on the BMW Digest and Brett Anderson said the Platinums don't work well due to the very small area where they fire. This allows them to foul easily in the M30 engine. <p>: Shawn Anderson<br>: 1990 535, 160,000 miles<p>: <br>: : Hi folks,<p>: : Time to replace the spark plugs on my '91 535i and it seems that most stores carry the Bosch Platinum plugs, not the standard W8LCR.<p>: : Is it okay to use the platinum plugs? I seem to have read somewhere that it's not a good idea. Suggestions?<p>: : Thanks in advance,<br>: : Adnan<p>

ron
01-20-1999, 03:57 PM
<i>: Hi folks,<p>: Time to replace the spark plugs on my '91 535i and it seems that most stores carry the Bosch Platinum plugs, not the standard W8LCR.<p>: Is it okay to use the platinum plugs? I seem to have read somewhere that it's not a good idea. Suggestions?<p>: Thanks in advance,<br>: Adnan<p></i>I had platinum plugs in my 89 525i when i bought it and replaced them with bosch non-platinum 8LCRs. Agree, they're not easy to find, i got mine from an Import Autohaus location at $3 each. The idle and warm starts seem to be a lot better, but that could be just the fact they're new and gapped correctly. BMW dealer recommends non-platinum for the older 6's but in the same breath said they had no proof platinums hurt. Clear as mud right?

WillO
01-20-1999, 08:30 PM
<p></i>Back at 50k miles I tried to find Platinum plugs. Could not find them for a 91 525i. The original plugs had three electrodes joined at the tips with a triangle(how that enhanced ignition is beyond me). The dealer had a single electrode plug, he said the triple electrode fouled up and had been superceded by the single(the triple I removed was lookin' good). I went with a Bosch, but not the Platinum because there was no listing. <br>If and when I hit 100k miles I will put in Platinums if they are available irregardless of what net banter is prevelant. Frankly, I don't recall a Bosch product that was inferior in any way. Bosch is well on its way to owning Detroit because they are that good.<p>Unit,Corps,God, Country, Bosch . <br>Will<br>88 325ix<br>91 525i 64k miles or so

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index