Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Tom Der
01-20-1999, 10:40 PM
Perhaps not the clearest subject line, but my 90 535i with 85K miles is starting to clatter with the clutch in, so I suspect that it is time to replace.<p>What other things should be looked at or replaced while things are apart? This is a effort to make the most of what will be a high labor bill.<p>Any recommendations on clutch components other than OEM?

Paul H.
01-21-1999, 01:28 AM
<i>:<br>: What other things should be looked at or replaced while things are apart? This is a effort to make the most of what will be a high labor bill.<p>: Any recommendations on clutch components other than OEM?<br></i><p>I had the clutch on my '90 535i replaced recently at about 165000km (approx 100k miles). I got a heavy duty Sachs clutch kit, which included pressure plate, driven plate and throw bearing. This cost me around $700AUS (approx $450US), including labour. That included extracting and replacing a couple of exhaust studs which broke during manifold removal.<p>Sachs (I believe) actually manufacture for BMW, but the clutch I got is not BMW OEM.<p>Probably better to replace all clutch components, since all will presumably be at a comparable stage of wear.<p>Paul.<br>

Andy Peavy
01-21-1999, 10:21 AM
I had the same thing happen to my car at about 90k miles. As you push in the clutch, you can hear the throwout bearing making noise. The noise lasted about 600 miles, then you could start to hear grinding.<p>Had my mechanic put in a new clutch and throwout bearing. He said that when he seperated the transmission from the bell housing, lots of little ball bearings fell out and bounced around his shop.<p>Andy Peavy<br>91 535i<br>email: apeavy@yahoo.com<p><i>: Perhaps not the clearest subject line, but my 90 535i with 85K miles is starting to clatter with the clutch in, so I suspect that it is time to replace.<p>: What other things should be looked at or replaced while things are apart? This is a effort to make the most of what will be a high labor bill.<p>: Any recommendations on clutch components other than OEM?<p></i>

Phil Coppin
01-21-1999, 10:21 AM
All moving components should be replaced!<br>Pilot bearing in crank, throw bearing, and complete clutch assembly. Have you been replacing the brake and clutch fluid at regular intervals?<br>If not, I would also take a close look at the clutch operating system (master and slave cylinders and/or refurbishing kits for them)as the new clutch disk components will place increased strain on these parts. <p>Phil C.<br>95 525i 5spd. Sharked

Shawn Anderson
01-21-1999, 10:49 AM
My clutch is somewhat stiff now at 160K miles. How does a new clutch feel? Are they still heavy or does replacing the clutch make it feel much lighter?<p>Thanks<p>Shawn Anderson<br>1990 535

Andy Peavy
01-21-1999, 11:02 AM
It seems lighter than it did before, but I mainly noticed it just being different. You know how it feels when you drive someone else's car, and then you get back into your car and it feels strange for a few minutes? Just like that.<p>I did have trouble with the slave cylinder leaking fluid and I had a new one put on. My mechanic didn't have the 89 or greater slave, so he temporarily put on an 88 model. It just has a slightly smaller diameter piston, so the clutch did feel very stiff then.<p>Then the new clutch was put on along with the proper slave cylinder and it was definitely lighter feeling at the time, BUT occasionally, in stop-and-go traffic, my leg still tells me that it is a stiff clutch.<p>So actually, I don't know if the pedal feel gets stiffer over the life of the clutch. The new one is different, but not even close to a night and day difference.<p>If you live in Denver, I'd be more than happy to compare clutch pedal feels between our cars...<p>Andy Peavy<br>91 535i<br>email: apeavy@yahoo.com<p><i>: My clutch is somewhat stiff now at 160K miles. How does a new clutch feel? Are they still heavy or does replacing the clutch make it feel much lighter?<p>: Thanks<p>: Shawn Anderson<br>: 1990 535<p></i>

Andy Peavy
01-21-1999, 11:04 AM
I forgot to add something to my ealier post.<p>I also had my mechanic replace the seals he could get to while he was in there.<p>Andy Peavy<br>91 535i<br>email: apeavy@yahoo.com<p><i>: Perhaps not the clearest subject line, but my 90 535i with 85K miles is starting to clatter with the clutch in, so I suspect that it is time to replace.<p>: What other things should be looked at or replaced while things are apart? This is a effort to make the most of what will be a high labor bill.<p>: Any recommendations on clutch components other than OEM?<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index