Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Alex Goetze
01-21-1999, 12:07 PM
I heard (from a NOT so reliable source) that BMW had a limited recall on 91 & 92 525's for "rough running."<p>Supposedly, in order to fix the problem the block has to be rebuilt.<p>I contacted my local dealer and they don't know anything about it. Has anyone heard of this? Again, my source is suspect, but if there is anything to this it would be a great recall for those of us with 91 & 92 525's.<p>I would appreciate any info that could shed light on this subject.<p>Alex Goetze<br>'92 525i 5-sp

Phil Coppin
01-21-1999, 03:42 PM
I believe your source may be confused by the not well publicized "hidden" recall of V8 E34's for sulphur problems associated with the Nikasil blocks on the 530 and 540. Not everyone had problems, it depended on where you were in the U.S. <br>Rough running on your particular car could be the Idle control valve (which doesn't require a new block <bg>), a somewhat common problem on your engine and easily fixed. <p>Phil C.<br>95 525i 5spd.

Steve
01-21-1999, 04:18 PM
The Nikasil problem extended beyond the V8 in some countries. In the UK for example, the 2L and 2.5L (M50?)had the same problem in the north west of the country because the block was apparently made of the same stuff. So - it all depends where your car was first supplied.<p><i>: I believe your source may be confused by the not well publicized "hidden" recall of V8 E34's for sulphur problems associated with the Nikasil blocks on the 530 and 540.

WillO
01-21-1999, 05:57 PM
<i>: The Nikasil problem extended beyond the V8 in some countries. In the UK for example, the 2L and 2.5L (M50?)had the same problem in the north west of the country because the block was apparently made of the same stuff. So - it all depends where your car was first supplied.<p>: : I believe your source may be confused by the not well publicized "hidden" recall of V8 E34's for sulphur problems associated with the Nikasil blocks on the 530 and 540. <p></i>I believe Steve is right, English M50 had an alloy block and the factory had to eat 'em. Lots of POed Limeys.<p>Will

Phil Coppin
01-22-1999, 02:31 PM
Ahh well so now you know THAT'S the reason why I left the U.K. to live in the U.S. <br>So I can buy cast-iron blocked E34's <bg><p>Phil C.<br>95 525i 5spd. Sharked and not pissed off!!!<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index