Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Joseph
01-22-1999, 10:33 PM
I don't think my mirrors are working. They move as they are supposed to, but I don't think they heat. How does it work? How can I check?<p>Thanks

callan
01-22-1999, 11:02 PM
Bmw used 2 set-ups through the years.. Some mirrors have a tiny temp. sensing device on the glass to turn on the current to the resistive grid. The later E-36 3 series went on with the car running and get pretty hot as a result. I'll pull up your wiring on my CDs and send the needed info as to which system your 5 uses. Takes about 10 min so see ya!

Callan
01-22-1999, 11:45 PM
Since the same fuse runs both mirror movement and heating on your E-34[we are talking about an E-34 5 series right?] then you can go straight to the mirror glass to see if it's getting power . The clutch,motor,and heater use the same ground so it is probably the element thats gone bad or the thermoswitch in the glass to be more accurate. If you want to test the glass it's probably more effi. to get a new one since I don't think you can jump the heater element past the thermo device as it's sort of under a epoxy like substance. 9 times out of 10 a bad "glass" has been my exper. or the soldered contacts for the 2 wires have fallen off the back of the mirror. Good Luck.

Mike
01-23-1999, 03:53 PM
I have a '92 535i, and my understanding is that it works in conjunction with the rear defroster button. I'm pretty sure thats what activates it, maybe i'm wrong or maybe your model is different, but give that a try. <p><i>: I don't think my mirrors are working. They move as they are supposed to, but I don't think they heat. How does it work? How can I check?<p>: Thanks<p></i>

Nigel
01-23-1999, 06:45 PM
I have just bought a 95 520i se.<p>I have a problem with my mirrors. Neither appear to be working Fuse 12 is ok and there is power going in and out of the switch.<p>Any one got any ideas.<p>Thx<p>

Callan
01-23-1999, 11:42 PM
You seem to have almost fully diagnosed the car. Pull the mirror glass off to see if the motor is getting the input from the mirror switch that you've looked at. There's only one ground for the system. Some of the later BMWs have push-in pins at the back of the motor that vibrate out and you can end up with both a blown/shorted fuse or just inop mirrors. Which 2 liter do you have? Is it an M-40/44 4 cyl. or a smaller version of the M-50/52 6 cyl. that's so common here in the US?

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index