Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Rob Cooley
01-23-1999, 04:26 PM
I'm looking at a 1990 525i. Car looks and drives real nice. He's asking $8000. obo. Engine has 120,000 miles and a 5 speed, there are no service records or vehicle history(red flag). I know for this price there will have to be things done. I will get it checked at mechanic if I pursue, but!<p>1. A/C does not blow cold air, only cool. Usually there is a hole associated with a freon leak, closed system, right?<p>2. Not sure as weather was cool and damp but, might blow white smoke, could be steam. My 1998 mini van was blowing some steam so the jury's still out on this one.<p>3. Clutch seemed a little loose. I heard clutch should be serviced at 120,000 - 150,000 miles.<p>4. Difinitive tick in the engine, seemed to increase after test drive(major red flag).<p>5. I know timing belt should be replaced every 60,000 miles, he seemed to poo poo this notion(red flag), saying people just want to make money. This means first thing I have to do after buying $7500. car is pay more $.<p>Like I said it drove real nice and looked great. Pickins are slim in Michigan, but I can't afford to buy somebody's problems. I ask for your advise since here I can get an unbiased opinion. <p>p.s. I'm going to test a 1989 535i tomorrow, 146,000 miles he claims oil changes every 3000 miles. Young college kid, I know buying from a young male goes against all rules of buying a BMW, but Momma wants her mini-van back and I'm ready to give it back. Good luck to me. Thank you in advance.<p>Rob

WillO
01-23-1999, 09:43 PM
<i>: I'm looking at a 1990 525i. Car looks and drives real nice. He's asking $8000. obo. Engine has 120,000 miles and a 5 speed, there are no service records or vehicle history(red flag). I know for this price there will have to be things done. I will get it checked at mechanic if I pursue, but!<p>: 1. A/C does not blow cold air, only cool. Usually there is a hole associated with a freon leak, closed system, right?<p>: 2. Not sure as weather was cool and damp but, might blow white smoke, could be steam. My 1998 mini van was blowing some steam so the jury's still out on this one.<p>: 3. Clutch seemed a little loose. I heard clutch should be serviced at 120,000 - 150,000 miles.<p>: 4. Difinitive tick in the engine, seemed to increase after test drive(major red flag).<p>: 5. I know timing belt should be replaced every 60,000 miles, he seemed to poo poo this notion(red flag), saying people just want to make money. This means first thing I have to do after buying $7500. car is pay more $.<p>: Like I said it drove real nice and looked great. Pickins are slim in Michigan, but I can't afford to buy somebody's problems. I ask for your advise since here I can get an unbiased opinion. <p>: p.s. I'm going to test a 1989 535i tomorrow, 146,000 miles he claims oil changes every 3000 miles. Young college kid, I know buying from a young male goes against all rules of buying a BMW, but Momma wants her mini-van back and I'm ready to give it back. Good luck to me. Thank you in advance.<p>: Rob<p></i>The 525i like all gas powered vehicles converts as many pounds of gasoline into as many pounds of steam( less a little carbon, co2, co and small amounts of other stuff). Bet you didn't know that! So, steam coming from a tail pipe is OK. This car also has solid lifters so some lifter noise is OK. 150k on the clutch= well worn clutch.<br>You are right about the timing belt. And also add a water pump. My crystal ball says you will need another $1500-$2000. The owners drift about the timing belt is as much as saying he knows little about his own car except that he does not maintain it properly..... so if the car looks and drives nice work his price since he hasn't maintained it<br>and the AC is gone, and clutch is well worn.<p>Licenced to steam,<br>Will<br>91 525i

Dave
01-24-1999, 12:33 AM
<i>: I'm looking at a 1990 525i. Car looks and drives real nice. He's asking $8000. obo. Engine has 120,000 miles and a 5 speed, there are no service records or vehicle history(red flag). I know for this price there will have to be things done. I will get it checked at mechanic if I pursue, but!<p>: 1. A/C does not blow cold air, only cool. Usually there is a hole associated with a freon leak, closed system, right?<p>: 2. Not sure as weather was cool and damp but, might blow white smoke, could be steam. My 1998 mini van was blowing some steam so the jury's still out on this one.<p>: 3. Clutch seemed a little loose. I heard clutch should be serviced at 120,000 - 150,000 miles.<p>: 4. Difinitive tick in the engine, seemed to increase after test drive(major red flag).<p>: 5. I know timing belt should be replaced every 60,000 miles, he seemed to poo poo this notion(red flag), saying people just want to make money. This means first thing I have to do after buying $7500. car is pay more $.<p>: Like I said it drove real nice and looked great. Pickins are slim in Michigan, but I can't afford to buy somebody's problems. I ask for your advise since here I can get an unbiased opinion. <p>: p.s. I'm going to test a 1989 535i tomorrow, 146,000 miles he claims oil changes every 3000 miles. Young college kid, I know buying from a young male goes against all rules of buying a BMW, but Momma wants her mini-van back and I'm ready to give it back. Good luck to me. Thank you in advance.<p>: Rob<p></i>Rob, I'd stay away from this 525 you are describing. The a/c not working could be as simple as low on freon, as expensive as a whole in the condenser. I would never buy a car without service records. There is a service on the internet that you can enter the VIN # of the car and it will tell you if it has ever had a salvage title, how many times it has been titled, and other vital info. I believe it is called Carfax. Personally, I'd look for a 535, maybe a 90 or 91, maybe an 89 if it's clean. The older 525's had a timing belt, the 535's have a chain. I have an 89 535 with 149k on the clock. Sure, I've put $ into it but it is all routine stuff.Good Luck

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index