Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Terry Cook
01-24-1999, 03:14 PM
I am trying to decide on whether to buy a 1991 M5 or a 1994-95 540i. I'm leaning towards the 540i due to maintenance costs, however, I have heard the BMW V8's have had problems and that BMW is putting new engines in these cars left and right. Does anyone know the full story on this problem? Does BMW replace the engine at no cost? Is there a mileage limitation? What exactly do they replace -- just the block, or pistons, rods, crank, etc. also? Is it a hassle with the dealer and/or BMW to get this done? Thanks for any help.

Callan
01-24-1999, 04:22 PM
OK. BMW extended the engine warr. to 6yrs/100,000miles to help stop engine worries. Almost all the 4.0 liters have been replaced with the new silicone style blocks that the '96&later cars had them to begin with. Although some people had to endure multiple transplants since BMW didn't have enough new stock to make new cars & fix the ones with problems[you got old style blocks until the new ones were avail.] only some 530s should be left since the 3.0 liters were last to get newer block. Maint. is night/day for the 2 cars you talked about. Although the M-5 with its revised set-up over the older Ms is to DIE FOR it takes big wallet to keep it in order if things break or get damaged[valet,kids,vandals etc]. The V-8s are easy to work on compared to the V-12 and slightly easier than the S-38 comp. of the M-5. The decision is yours to make but for a more trouble free "daily driver" I'd pick the 540i. Hope this helps

Andrew
01-24-1999, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the info Callan. I'm in a similar situation as Terry Cook in that I'm considering trading my 740 for a 540. The engine problems that I've been reading about scares me a little though. Assuming BMW extends the warranty on the V8 to 6 years, 100K, does this mean that they will nevertheless still replace the engine block regardless of whether a problem exists? How would one know whether it has been replaced? Not to cast generalizations on all BMW dealers, but I don't think this is one of those items they would necessarily want to talk to prospective customers about. <p><br><i>: OK. BMW extended the engine warr. to 6yrs/100,000miles to help stop engine worries. Almost all the 4.0 liters have been replaced with the new silicone style blocks that the '96&later cars had them to begin with. Although some people had to endure multiple transplants since BMW didn't have enough new stock to make new cars & fix the ones with problems[you got old style blocks until the new ones were avail.] only some 530s should be left since the 3.0 liters were last to get newer block. Maint. is night/day for the 2 cars you talked about. Although the M-5 with its revised set-up over the older Ms is to DIE FOR it takes big wallet to keep it in order if things break or get damaged[valet,kids,vandals etc]. The V-8s are easy to work on compared to the V-12 and slightly easier than the S-38 comp. of the M-5. The decision is yours to make but for a more trouble free "daily driver" I'd pick the 540i. Hope this helps<p></i>

Callan
01-24-1999, 07:17 PM
First a note to Terry; i forgot to mention that BMW puts new pistons,crankshaft/bearings, along with new gaskets and a valley cover in the block kit. The dealer is allowed to give/offer a loaner car [if I'm told correctly] to the customer for 3 days I think in order to help out. The biggest problem we run into is that on cars that are out of the regular 4yr./50,000ml warranty there is always something else wrong with the cars that everyone hopes BMW can be talked into "goodwilling". Waiting for a phone/visit by the regional rep. can slow the return of a car but most people would rather wait to see if their potential bill can be reduced on items not related to the free engine work. Now for Andrew: If you already have a 740i has it not already been thru this or is it a '96/later E-38 7 series. As far as determining whats been done our own sales dept. runs "DCS" links with BMW to see if your or anybody elses car needs an engine. It makes sense not to try and "hide" a problem thats been written about & talked about in both the media& by "BMWphiles" everywhere. If no one at the dealership/center[this new"center" naming was dreamed up by a consultant we're sure] that you deal with will help you should be able to contact BMW at the 1-800# for customer help. If it doesn't get me into very hot water I'll run the VIN myself if need be. IN so much as involving themselves in cars over 100k BMW at least here in Chicago has politely refused to help in most cases. I guess 100k is 100k in the factorys mind.

Jeff Bos
01-25-1999, 01:45 AM
Terry,<p>This should answer most of your questions:<p>http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta/v8shortblock.htm<p>Good Luck<p>Jeff<br>95 540/6

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index