Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Allen G.
03-20-2000, 09:59 PM
Ok, here's the story: 91 M5, 115k hwy. miles, white w/black. It has had the tranny and clutch replaced. Paint is ok, interior ok but one little seam has come loose (4 inches) in the back seat, and no accidents. The guy wants 18.5k and got no takers after a week of ads in our local paper. I have offered 17k all week, but he now says he'd rather keep it than go down to 17k (imagine, the nerve....). I will have my mechanic go over it tomorrow for mech. cond., but if it passes with no major work needed, should I pay full price? What do you guys think? I welcome your input.

Sam S
03-21-2000, 12:50 AM
Interesting. I bought my '92 [here in CA] about 9 months ago, and the guy was beside himself because I offered him something below what he had listed. !!! I don't know where you are, Allen, but I know here in CA blue book for a '91 in good condition is about $22,000, and I've seen them as high as $27,000 [listed for that much]. If the car is straight, go for it. You're within striking distance already. And the car is exciting every single time you drive. Good luck.<p>PS - check out John Robinson's site, if you haven't already. He has great info for prospective buyers: www.netspace.net.au/~jrobbo/M5/

Allen G.
03-21-2000, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the comment and support. I have been watching the prices, and I think this one is fair.<br>I just need to be sure I don't get hit with a timing chain, water pump, or some other high priced repair right out of the gate.

Allen G.
03-21-2000, 05:20 PM
Just an update: I walked away from the car. Bavarian Professionals looked over the car and halfway thru the inspec. we called it quits. The car had several areas where the paint was repaired. Two of the four "fan" wheel covers were on backwards, the trans had been apart and there was evidence of silicon sealer used to seal the case, the steering box was replaced and spray painted silver, rotors worn down to the point where there were lips. Too many warning signs of a car worked on by someone who did not understand what they were doing. That, coupled with the high mileage made me want to offer 14k, not 18.5.<p><i>: Thanks for the comment and support. I have been watching the prices, and I think this one is fair.<br>: I just need to be sure I don't get hit with a timing chain, water pump, or some other high priced repair right out of the gate.<p></i>

Sam S
03-23-2000, 08:35 PM
Wow - sounds like you were smart to walk away. Did the seller tell you such repairs (I'm using the term loosely) had been done?

Allen G
03-24-2000, 09:54 AM
I think the seller was ignorant in that regard. He is a fairly busy and well off C.O.O. of a big corp. and he just drove the car and took it to a mechanic he thought he could trust (although he took it to Grand Auto for battery) I think his repair shop (M Performance in Burlingame, CA) didn't have as high a standard as the shop I had look it over (Bavarian Professionals in Berkeley,CA) or he just told them to "keep it running". Either way, I sent the owner a note telling him to let me know if he decides to go below his asking. I would pay 15-16 and take it as a project car (probably will need brakes, waterpump and belts, exhaust, and rear suspension soon).<p><i>: Wow - sounds like you were smart to walk away. Did the seller tell you such repairs (I'm using the term loosely) had been done?<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index