Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Josh
03-28-2000, 09:15 AM
I drove a 92 M5 yesterday - awesome car.<br>I learned that the wheels are really covers over black 5 spokes.<br>How do I remove and change the covers? Can I buy the covers seperately?<br>

GeorgeK
03-28-2000, 11:32 AM
Josh,<br>The covers can be removed, it usually takes time, patience and appropriate tools.<br>The screw head, assuming they are original, is called a triple square. No other tool will dislodge the screws. BUT if they are original, they will have some corrosion on them, which will render the heads useless... at that point, drilling is the only way. If you have to drill them out, let us know, the procedure is simple, but if you screw up (pun intended) it's money time. For putting the covers back on you MUST use loctite (243).<br><i>: I drove a 92 M5 yesterday - awesome car.<br>: I learned that the wheels are really covers over black 5 spokes.<br>: How do I remove and change the covers? Can I buy the covers seperately?<p></i>

GeorgeK
03-28-2000, 12:25 PM
<i>: I drove a 92 M5 yesterday - awesome car.<br>: I learned that the wheels are really covers over black 5 spokes.<br>: How do I remove and change the covers? Can I buy the covers seperately?<p></i>

josh
03-28-2000, 01:28 PM
Thanks George, <br>I looked but didn't see the thread.<br>I was going up to Minneapolis to look at an M5 this weekend, but it was already sold.<p>I am getting frustrated here.<br>I'm trying to find a 91-93 or later Euro model in Good shape without high mileage.<br>The one I saw yesterday had engine work done to it and I would be the 5th owner. Too many red flags.<p><br><i>: Josh,<br>: The covers can be removed, it usually takes time, patience and appropriate tools.<br>: The screw head, assuming they are original, is called a triple square. No other tool will dislodge the screws. BUT if they are original, they will have some corrosion on them, which will render the heads useless... at that point, drilling is the only way. If you have to drill them out, let us know, the procedure is simple, but if you screw up (pun intended) it's money time. For putting the covers back on you MUST use loctite (243).<br>: : I drove a 92 M5 yesterday - awesome car.<br>: : I learned that the wheels are really covers over black 5 spokes.<br>: : How do I remove and change the covers? Can I buy the covers seperately?<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index