Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Rick
04-02-2000, 01:09 PM
I'm planning to bring a 1994 E34 M5 (340 hp) to Toronto, Canada. Does anyone know what must be dont to the car (if anything) to get it certified, since the 340 hp version was never available in North America?<p>: Also: Does anyone know what kinds of duties have to be payed when bringing the car?

know1
04-02-2000, 02:52 PM
<br>You should check with BMW Canada and find out what restrictions exist. <p>Let me know what you dig-up?<p>Regards<br>know1 (M540i#07/32)<p><br> <br><i>: I'm planning to bring a 1994 E34 M5 (340 hp) to Toronto, Canada. Does anyone know what must be dont to the car (if anything) to get it certified, since the 340 hp version was never available in North America?<p>: : Also: Does anyone know what kinds of duties have to be payed when bringing the car?<p></i>

Rod...
04-02-2000, 11:32 PM
<i>: I'm planning to bring a 1994 E34 M5 (340 hp) to Toronto, Canada. Does anyone know what must be dont to the car (if anything) to get it certified, since the 340 hp version was never available in North America?<p>: : Also: Does anyone know what kinds of duties have to be payed when bringing the car?<p></i>I remember a thread on this subject in one of the Digest's or message boards last month. I think the effort failed because of the Canadian authorities. I will look around and see if I can locate the thread.<br>Rod...

peanut
04-03-2000, 01:33 AM
<i>: I'm planning to bring a 1994 E34 M5 (340 hp) to Toronto, Canada. Does anyone know what must be dont to the car (if anything) to get it certified, since the 340 hp version was never available in North America?<p>: : Also: Does anyone know what kinds of duties have to be payed when bringing the car?<p></i>I dont think its possible, but I do know that you can import the car to the US Virgin Islands, licence it there, and then bring it into Florida and its USA legal as long as you dont licence it to a state with smog--I live in rural Oregon where we have no,

Rick
04-03-2000, 08:41 AM
<p>: I remember a thread on this subject in one of the Digest's or message boards last month. I think the effort failed because of the Canadian authorities. I will look around and see if I can locate the thread.<br>: Rod...<p><br>Thanks ... please do so ...

Rick
04-03-2000, 01:00 PM
<i>: I'm planning to bring a 1994 E34 M5 (340 hp) to Toronto, Canada. Does anyone know what must be dont to the car (if anything) to get it certified, since the 340 hp version was never available in North America?<p>: : Also: Does anyone know what kinds of duties have to be payed when bringing the car?<p><br>UPDATE:<p>I heard that it may be possible to bring the car <br>into Canada by first shipping the car to the United States, paying the american duties and registering the car there and then bringing the car to Canada as an American car. The problem lies in bringing the car into Canada. If the Canadian authorities decide to investigate the car they will see that it is in fact not American and will therefore not allow it in Canada.<p>If this is true or if you have any information I would greatly appreciate any and all help.<p>Thank you.

mike
04-16-2000, 09:33 PM
Please let me know what you have learned. I am interested in the US Virgin Island route as I live in FL and have a E34 '90 M5 in the Caribbean that I would like to bring to the USA for a year or so.<p><i>: : I'm planning to bring a 1994 E34 M5 (340 hp) to Toronto, Canada. Does anyone know what must be dont to the car (if anything) to get it certified, since the 340 hp version was never available in North America?<p>: : : Also: Does anyone know what kinds of duties have to be payed when bringing the car?<p>: <br>: UPDATE:<p>: I heard that it may be possible to bring the car <br>: into Canada by first shipping the car to the United States, paying the american duties and registering the car there and then bringing the car to Canada as an American car. The problem lies in bringing the car into Canada. If the Canadian authorities decide to investigate the car they will see that it is in fact not American and will therefore not allow it in Canada.<p>: If this is true or if you have any information I would greatly appreciate any and all help.<p>: Thank you.<p></i>

Daniel Pezzola
04-21-2000, 09:32 PM
<i>: I'm planning to bring a 1994 E34 M5 (340 hp) to Toronto, Canada. Does anyone know what must be dont to the car (if anything) to get it certified, since the 340 hp version was never available in North America?<p>: : Also: Does anyone know what kinds of duties have to be payed when bringing the car?<p></i> Last year I looked into importing a vehicle to Canada from U.S.A. and the Registrar of Imported Vehicles have a free booklet of restricted vehicles that can be imported. They should have one for Europe too......<p>22 Wellesley Street, East<br>Toronto, Ontario<br>M4Y 1G3<br>1-800-511-7755<br>Toronto area (416) 967-9955<br>or http://www.riv.com<p>P.S. Duty/Taxes depends on purchase price of vehicle. But first see if a 94 M5 is restricted and/or what modification have to be done to be certified.<p>Danny

Skid
04-22-2000, 10:45 PM
Clearly states only the '91 to '93 M5's can be imported. No euro models at all from any years. I know, I was lookng into the same or for an EVO E30 M3.

Daniel Pezzola
04-29-2000, 11:02 PM
<i>: Clearly states only the '91 to '93 M5's can be imported. No euro models at all from any years. I know, I was lookng into the same or for an EVO E30 M3.<p></i> I have list from RIV of vehicles admissible from U.S. dated (effective date till August 31 1999) and all are admissible, no restriction.<p>1985 to 1988 Models<br>1994 & 1995 850Csi**><br>1995 M3**><br>All Other 1989 to 1999 models ><p>** bumper modifications to Canadian Standards may need to be tested and approved.<br>> Child tether anchorage maybe expensive mods(tests may be required)<p>This list I have is admissibility from U.S. to Canada...... if a person finds a Euro model in U.S. allready approved wonder if you can bring it to Canada with **> the above modifications ? Would be interesting!!!!

Z93M5
05-11-2000, 11:35 AM
<i>: : I'm planning to bring a 1994 E34 M5 (340 hp) to Toronto, Canada. Does anyone know what must be dont to the car (if anything) to get it certified, since the 340 hp version was never available in North America?<p>: : : Also: Does anyone know what kinds of duties have to be payed when bringing the car?<p>: I dont think its possible, but I do know that you can import the car to the US Virgin Islands, licence it there, and then bring it into Florida and its USA legal as long as you dont licence it to a state with smog--I live in rural Oregon where we have no,<p></i>Even if you bring it to the US, you will still have to make some changes on it so that it would be allowed to enter Canada. Some of the changes may cost tremendously (i.e. changing speedometer to read in kilometers rather than in miles, as you first will not be able to get it into the US unless it reads in miles) while other changes may not cost as much (i.e. enabling day time running lights). Why don't you find a 93 one and replace the engine on it with the new Euro 3.8L 341HP. That might be your easiest solution, as importing such an engine may not be a big deal. Of course, you will still need to make sure that it will pass emission controls. I know of someone who did the exact same and managed to get the engine imported. The Euro 94 & 95 year models were not allowed in Canada due to the fact that the new 3.8L engine needed to be re-tested for emissions and others, while there was not the market to justify it. Not that it will not fit/pass the Canadian requirements/regulations, just because there was not enough market size to justify the cost of such tests. Good luck.

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index