Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Collin
01-01-1999, 04:26 AM
<br>I have been hearing a sharp squeal coming from the left front tire when I brake, but there is still plenty of brake pad left. Does anyone know how to rid this problem?

Steve
01-01-1999, 12:08 PM
<i>: <br>: I have been hearing a sharp squeal coming from the left front tire when I brake, but there is still plenty of brake pad left. Does anyone know how to rid this problem? <p></i>

Collin
01-02-1999, 01:35 AM
My car is a '95 318is with about 26K miles. The service adviser said that it was probably because my wheel was dirty, but I don't think that is it. What do you think?<p><br><i>: : <br>: : I have been hearing a sharp squeal coming from the left front tire when I brake, but there is still plenty of brake pad left. Does anyone know how to rid this problem? <p></i>

Steve
01-02-1999, 09:26 AM
I would suggesst a good visual inspection of 'that' rotor. If you have BMW alloy wheels, you can probably do this without taking the wheel off. Look for unusual marks on the rotor. Normally, you should see a pretty smooth shiny (if you've just driven the car) surface without any deep ridges on the rotor. Tip: compare how it looks and feels to the other rotors. Don't forget to chech BOTH sides. BTW: If you haven't drivin the car its normal to see rust on the rotors. It can form overnight with enough humidity. If it were coming from the back, I'd suspect something was caught between the splash guard and the brake rotor. I've heard of road debris (rocks etc) getting stuck in there. If YOU feel uncomfortable doing this just ask your dealer to check it out again. Good luck.<p>Steve<br>98 E36<p><i>: My car is a '95 318is with about 26K miles. The service adviser said that it was probably because my wheel was dirty, but I don't think that is it. What do you think?<p>: <br>: : : <br>: : : I have been hearing a sharp squeal coming from the left front tire when I brake, but there is still plenty of brake pad left. Does anyone know how to rid this problem? <p></i>

G.A. English
01-06-1999, 03:54 PM
My brakes squeled sharply at almost 40k. The brake pads are only half worn! I disassembled the brakes, cleaned everything, reapplied anti-squel to the back of the pads and lubed some shims that the calipers slide on. No more squeeel!

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index