Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Mark
09-21-1999, 12:04 PM
I love horsepower as much as anyone else, and I look forward to reading tests on the E46 with its reported 100 horsepower increase, but what about us E36 owners. By BMW making such a dramatic increase in HP they have greatly effected my resale of my '99. I think owners of E36 should write to BMW and demand some sort of performance upgrade at a reasonable price. We've been carrying the torch of the M3 marque and we deserve better than to have BMW all but make or cars horsepower dinasaurs.

Beefer
09-21-1999, 12:09 PM
So should I call up Honda and ask for a performace upgrade to a 1990 Honda Prelude ?<p>What are you thinking ??!!!!

rda
09-21-1999, 01:41 PM
do you suggest that bmw, or, come to think of it, any company, stop improving their products so you can have good resale value? and since when is a ~240hp 5.5 sec. car a "horsepower dinosaur?"<p>if you're as worried about resale as you sound, you should have been prudent enough to KNOW that bmw was going to re-design the m3. shoulda done your homework, buddy.

GRAVI
09-21-1999, 03:26 PM
<i><br>n/m<br></i>

ChasM3
09-21-1999, 03:55 PM
Until we know actual price and performance specs, it's anyone's guess what will happen to E36 M3 resale. I am for taking a wait and see attitude. After all, the 0-60 performance of the 321HP E36 Euro M3 was only slightly better than the 240HP US version and if the price ends up $10k more.....<p><i>: I love horsepower as much as anyone else, and I look forward to reading tests on the E46 with its reported 100 horsepower increase, but what about us E36 owners. By BMW making such a dramatic increase in HP they have greatly effected my resale of my '99. I think owners of E36 should write to BMW and demand some sort of performance upgrade at a reasonable price. We've been carrying the torch of the M3 marque and we deserve better than to have BMW all but make or cars horsepower dinasaurs.<p></i>

even more then the e36-e46M3.Evan...
09-21-1999, 04:26 PM
<i>: I love horsepower as much as anyone else, and I look forward to reading tests on the E46 with its reported 100 horsepower increase, but what about us E36 owners. By BMW making such a dramatic increase in HP they have greatly effected my resale of my '99. I think owners of E36 should write to BMW and demand some sort of performance upgrade at a reasonable price. We've been carrying the torch of the M3 marque and we deserve better than to have BMW all but make or cars horsepower dinasaurs.<p></i>

Andrew
09-21-1999, 07:12 PM
Come on. There was like a 4-year gap between the end of the E30 production and the start of US E36 production. Its not like the cars were back to back. Get real people

Henry
09-21-1999, 10:11 PM
<i>: I love horsepower as much as anyone else, and I look forward to reading tests on the E46 with its reported 100 horsepower increase, but what about us E36 owners. By BMW making such a dramatic increase in HP they have greatly effected my resale of my '99. I think owners of E36 should write to BMW and demand some sort of performance upgrade at a reasonable price. We've been carrying the torch of the M3 marque and we deserve better than to have BMW all but make or cars horsepower dinasaurs.<p></i><p>right after driving it off the showroom. If you want your stuff to retain its value, stay away from cars.

Pete
09-22-1999, 12:34 AM
<i>: I love horsepower as much as anyone else, and I look forward to reading tests on the E46 with its reported 100 horsepower increase, but what about us E36 owners. By BMW making such a dramatic increase in HP they have greatly effected my resale of my '99. I think owners of E36 should write to BMW and demand some sort of performance upgrade at a reasonable price. We've been carrying the torch of the M3 marque and we deserve better than to have BMW all but make or cars horsepower dinasaurs.<p></i><p>It turns out that the two engines have very different power curves so that they really aren't that simple to compare as to say the one with 100 more HP is that much better. The 240 HP engine is a low-end and mid-range torque monster which makes it great fun in any situation and at any RPM.<p>The 320 HP engine is a higher revving high-end power motor. It's more racy, kinda like the Honda VTECs (but not as radically high-strung).<p>This is one reason that the 0-60 times for the two are very similar (it's the old flat/fat power curve vs. the peaky tall power curve). This is also why any single performance indicator of a car is nearly useless.<p>When I had my 97 M3 I was never sorry that I was "stuck" with the supposedly "lesser" motor. I much prefer a torqy, less high strung motor.<p>So, it may turn out that the 240 HP motored M3's may actually become more desireable and give people the choice between the engines (buy used for torque, buy new for racy high-revving motor)<p>So, Don't Panic!<br>

Ray Koch
09-22-1999, 10:44 AM
You're not being very realistic. The new M3 will have little, if any, effect on the value of the current M3. First of all the HP number is not important as the actual performance of the car. With the added weight, the E46 will be a little faster than the E36 but that is to be expected with a new, improved model. Secondly, the E36 is just as great a car as it always was, irregardless of the E46. And finally, and most importantly, your forgeting price. The E46 is projected to be at least 5K more that the E36. There will be a huge price difference in a new E46 as compared to a used E36. The new and used markets do not intersect. Your car will depreciate as naturally as before. <br>

Mark
09-22-1999, 11:33 AM
<i>: You're not being very realistic. The new M3 will have little, if any, effect on the value of the current M3. First of all the HP number is not important as the actual performance of the car. With the added weight, the E46 will be a little faster than the E36 but that is to be expected with a new, improved model. Secondly, the E36 is just as great a car as it always was, irregardless of the E46. And finally, and most importantly, your forgeting price. The E46 is projected to be at least 5K more that the E36. There will be a huge price difference in a new E46 as compared to a used E36. The new and used markets do not intersect. Your car will depreciate as naturally as before. <p></i>Thank you for an intelligent response.

Ray Koch
09-22-1999, 01:39 PM
<i>: : You're not being very realistic. The new M3 will have little, if any, effect on the value of the current M3. First of all the HP number is not important as the actual performance of the car. With the added weight, the E46 will be a little faster than the E36 but that is to be expected with a new, improved model. Secondly, the E36 is just as great a car as it always was, irregardless of the E46. And finally, and most importantly, your forgeting price. The E46 is projected to be at least 5K more that the E36. There will be a huge price difference in a new E46 as compared to a used E36. The new and used markets do not intersect. Your car will depreciate as naturally as before. <p>: Thank you for an intelligent response.<p></i><p>You're welcome. I have two E36 M3's and am not really worried about loss of resale value, if I was I would be as concerned as you. One thing I forgot to mention is that if you read this, and other BMW and M3 boards, you'll notice that there are a lot of people who prefer the E36 body to the E46. In fact, a lot of people purchased 1999 M3's because they did not like the general E46 styling (although we have yet to see the final production M3) and also didn't like the projected weight gain.

Jason L
09-22-1999, 02:16 PM
Are you on crack? I'd hate for you to shop in my store. How often do you complain at restaurants? I bet you do...<br> A true M3 enthusiast wants nothing more than for the newest car to be a million times better than the old, it's called progress. We all want to see BMW hit a home run with our favorite car.. What idiot would want to penalize the company for making good performance upgrades on the M3?<br> Upgrading your E36 is YOUR responsibility. Personally, I don't think its resale value will be hurt at all. M3's are at an all time high as far as demand is concerned, with all the accolades given them by the big car mags and such... Those belong to the E36, not the as yet unproven E46.<p>J

AK
09-22-1999, 02:30 PM
The new M3 (E46) will be a 'real' M3, meaning the same car the rest of the world is getting. Don't forget the roots of the US M3 are going back to the 328 (earlier 325) engines. The original M3 engine is build in a different plant in Germany and has nothing to do with the other E36/E46 engines. SO therefore you can't just compare those two cars based on facts from the E36 M3. The price difference of 5 or 6 thousand $'s are justified since the Euro version of the E36 M3 would have been in the same range. Conclusion, the new M3 is 'real' and I think and I hate to say that will drop the value of the E36 M3 faster than usual. I am not talking about the 'individual value' for a M3 owner. The US E36 M3 is still a great car but it is not in the same league as a Euro M3 together with the M5 (especially when it comes to engine-technology).now the US E46 M3 will be !!!!<br>AK<p><br><i>: I love horsepower as much as anyone else, and I look forward to reading tests on the E46 with its reported 100 horsepower increase, but what about us E36 owners. By BMW making such a dramatic increase in HP they have greatly effected my resale of my '99. I think owners of E36 should write to BMW and demand some sort of performance upgrade at a reasonable price. We've been carrying the torch of the M3 marque and we deserve better than to have BMW all but make or cars horsepower dinasaurs.<p></i>

Aaron B
10-04-1999, 12:15 PM
They dropped the 1.9l 4 banger, and replaces it with the 2.5l inline-6 in the Z3, and left me with resale problem.<p>Maybe I can find some sucker Miata owner to upgrade. :-)<p>Aaron<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index