Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Faris
09-24-1999, 07:54 PM
The Audi S4 will come with 6-sp or tiptronic automatic transmission.<br>Will the M3 follow the same strategy?

auto? That's a real shame. (nt)
09-24-1999, 08:43 PM
<i>: The Audi S4 will come with 6-sp or tiptronic automatic transmission.<br>: Will the M3 follow the same strategy?<p></i>

Pete
09-25-1999, 12:08 AM
<i>: : The Audi S4 will come with 6-sp or tiptronic automatic transmission.<br>: : Will the M3 follow the same strategy?<p></i>

stick shift...!
09-25-1999, 12:26 AM
<i>: : : The Audi S4 will come with 6-sp or tiptronic automatic transmission.<br>: : : Will the M3 follow the same strategy?<p></i>

Bruce
09-25-1999, 12:26 AM
it's a gimmick at best

Xzibit
09-25-1999, 10:46 AM
at the porsche dealer i was test driving the new 911 and the salesman man was teaching me how to shift and use the tiptronic. and he stated that if you can shift using step/tiptronic like Alex Zanardi can, then it will outperform a traditional manual.

jack
09-25-1999, 12:16 PM
<i>: at the porsche dealer i was test driving the new 911 and the salesman man was teaching me how to shift and use the tiptronic. and he stated that if you can shift using step/tiptronic like Alex Zanardi can, then it will outperform a traditional manual.<p></i>

AvusBlue
09-25-1999, 04:20 PM
<i>: at the porsche dealer i was test driving the new 911 and the salesman man was teaching me how to shift and use the tiptronic. and he stated that if you can shift using step/tiptronic like Alex Zanardi can, then it will outperform a traditional manual.<p></i>with all the associated power losses through their transmissions. The best you could do is outperform the standard automatic unless who(m)ever was shifting the manual was hamfisted. If those transmissions were clutchless manuals, then thats a different story.<p>David<p>AvusBlue 95M3/2

robbo
09-26-1999, 03:48 AM
<br>Thats what my non usa dealer tells me.<p>However, in Australia that was the case for E36. The reason is there is no auto capable of coping with power/torque generated and providing "M" performance. Thats why you USA losers never got the euro M3, because marketing told BMW they could not go without an auto.<p>NOTE : USA was the only market in the world such treated!<p>So if you cant drive a manual, get SMG, its better than auto anyway, but expect 4-5K premium.

Pete
09-27-1999, 12:27 AM
The Tiptronic of Porsche is a plain automatic with the possibility of selecting gears through the buttons on the wheel. But it's still an automatic with torque converter.<br>BMW's SMG is basically the regular 6-gear manual box, with a clutch operated through computer controlled hydraulics etc. <br>Two totally different things.<p>Look under this link for a good description of it:<p>http://www.bubbaclub.com/rob/SMG/smgRT.htm

Faris
09-27-1999, 12:11 PM
<i>: The Tiptronic of Porsche is a plain automatic with the possibility of selecting gears through the buttons on the wheel. But it's still an automatic with torque converter.<br>: BMW's SMG is basically the regular 6-gear manual box, with a clutch operated through computer controlled hydraulics etc. <br>: Two totally different things.<p>: Look under this link for a good description of it:<p>: http://www.bubbaclub.com/rob/SMG/smgRT.htm<p>Under that link, the report dates back to 1996, and says next year will be available in euro M3... SO, SMG has been available for some time! Any data on how it is accepted/performing? Why do we in the US always get the crums ;-(, makes me feel like I'm in the soviet union!<p><br></i>

Bruce
09-27-1999, 03:05 PM
<i>: The reason is there is no auto capable of coping with power/torque generated and providing "M" performance. </i><p>not true...the BMW V12 in the 8er put out more hp and torque than the Euro M3 and it's auto box worked fine...you statement is a weak excuse

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index