Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

AC
09-27-1999, 10:49 AM
I drove both, 323ic manual sport package as well as 328ic manual. Both drive smooth. Good cars for women in the low 40’s . The sporty handling and feel of a E36 is missing. Driving a E46 feels like a E39 (5-series), especially the 328ic (no sport package). I am not very impressed with either one...disappointing new successor for the E36. Conclusion: The E46 323ic & 328ic are nothing bad wanna-be sport coupes for wanna-be sporty drivers…I guess the M3 is the only hope left….I will wait.<br>Just my $0.02 opinion… <br>AC <br>

KJK
09-27-1999, 11:51 AM
<i>: I drove both, 323ic manual sport package as well as 328ic manual. Both drive smooth. Good cars for women in the low 40’s . The sporty handling and feel of a E36 is missing. Driving a E46 feels like a E39 (5-series), especially the 328ic (no sport package). I am not very impressed with either one...disappointing new successor for the E36. Conclusion: The E46 323ic & 328ic are nothing bad wanna-be sport coupes for wanna-be sporty drivers…I guess the M3 is the only hope left….I will wait.<br>: Just my $0.02 opinion… <br>: AC <p></i>Although your opinion about feel maybe correct, the recent Roundel had an article with a BMW racer who said that the E46 is a better chassis than the e36 period. He said it will outhandle the E36 despite the fact you may not feel as if you are. So, if a wanna-be E46 driver equal to your ability leaves you behind, how would you respond? If you were really so serious about performance, the fact that the chassis is stiffer than the e36 should be enough to convince you as to which one to buy.<p>KJK 91 M5<p>P.S. It might as well be Audi v. BMW because everybody seems to want to just be satisfied their car is the best, better than the competition, better than the new version of their car, etc. BMW would have been out of business a long time ago if its models did not improve.

AC
09-27-1999, 02:13 PM
Maybe I do love my E36 too much ... but I test drove the E46 with the intention of buying a E46. I was very excited about the test drive...but after driving both as I mentioned in my message earlier I was somehow disappointed and I walked away wondering "this can;t be all, is this really the new E46...????..." My expectations were not met at all. Regarding your 'BMW racer statement' from the Roundel, he is just one of many drivers with opinions. <br>AC <p><br><i>: : I drove both, 323ic manual sport package as well as 328ic manual. Both drive smooth. Good cars for women in the low 40’s . The sporty handling and feel of a E36 is missing. Driving a E46 feels like a E39 (5-series), especially the 328ic (no sport package). I am not very impressed with either one...disappointing new successor for the E36. Conclusion: The E46 323ic & 328ic are nothing bad wanna-be sport coupes for wanna-be sporty drivers…I guess the M3 is the only hope left….I will wait.<br>: : Just my $0.02 opinion… <br>: : AC <p>: Although your opinion about feel maybe correct, the recent Roundel had an article with a BMW racer who said that the E46 is a better chassis than the e36 period. He said it will outhandle the E36 despite the fact you may not feel as if you are. So, if a wanna-be E46 driver equal to your ability leaves you behind, how would you respond? If you were really so serious about performance, the fact that the chassis is stiffer than the e36 should be enough to convince you as to which one to buy.<p>: KJK 91 M5<p>: P.S. It might as well be Audi v. BMW because everybody seems to want to just be satisfied their car is the best, better than the competition, better than the new version of their car, etc. BMW would have been out of business a long time ago if its models did not improve.<p></i>

KJK
09-27-1999, 04:16 PM
<i>: Maybe I do love my E36 too much ... but I test drove the E46 with the intention of buying a E46. I was very excited about the test drive...but after driving both as I mentioned in my message earlier I was somehow disappointed and I walked away wondering "this can;t be all, is this really the new E46...????..." My expectations were not met at all. Regarding your 'BMW racer statement' from the Roundel, he is just one of many drivers with opinions. <br>: AC <p>The specifications for the E46 chassis show that it is stiffer and a better platform. The fact that you prefer the "feel" of the E36 doesn't change that. I don't think that feel is unimportant, that's why I like BMW's but numbers don't lie. The E36 is a great car and the E46 is likely to be better.<p>I also drove an E46 and thought it was a nice car but not raw enough for my tastes. It would probably take some serious time behind the wheel to start to explore its capabilities. With that said, I think the E30 M3 is a more exciting, pure sports sedan than the E36 but the E36 will definitely out perform the E30.<p>KJK 91 M5<br>: <br>: : : I drove both, 323ic manual sport package as well as 328ic manual. Both drive smooth. Good cars for women in the low 40’s . The sporty handling and feel of a E36 is missing. Driving a E46 feels like a E39 (5-series), especially the 328ic (no sport package). I am not very impressed with either one...disappointing new successor for the E36. Conclusion: The E46 323ic & 328ic are nothing bad wanna-be sport coupes for wanna-be sporty drivers…I guess the M3 is the only hope left….I will wait.<br>: : : Just my $0.02 opinion… <br>: : : AC <p>: : Although your opinion about feel maybe correct, the recent Roundel had an article with a BMW racer who said that the E46 is a better chassis than the e36 period. He said it will outhandle the E36 despite the fact you may not feel as if you are. So, if a wanna-be E46 driver equal to your ability leaves you behind, how would you respond? If you were really so serious about performance, the fact that the chassis is stiffer than the e36 should be enough to convince you as to which one to buy.<p>: : KJK 91 M5<p>: : P.S. It might as well be Audi v. BMW because everybody seems to want to just be satisfied their car is the best, better than the competition, better than the new version of their car, etc. BMW would have been out of business a long time ago if its models did not improve.<p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index