Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Evan...
09-27-1999, 06:31 PM
I keep hearing that for some unknown reason BMW A.G. does not want to give us the new 3.4l. Instead we will get the 3.2l that Europe has now, sort of a hand me down. From what I get out of it the performance will not suffer due to gearing change and that the 20 or so horse power difference is only missed at the upper end of the range otherwise the engines are identical. Could you use your Blood Hound skills and try to figure this out. I know that this is only specultive bull**** but I do not know why I keep hearing this from people at N.A. not the dealer but otherwise very good sources. This makes no sense to me cost or anything, the only thing that made some sense to me is that the Roadster and coupe will get the 3.2l (320hp) and that BMW wants to keep all engines that come to the U.S.A. the same. Thanks.

man
09-27-1999, 06:55 PM
<i>: I keep hearing that for some unknown reason BMW A.G. does not want to give us the new 3.4l. Instead we will get the 3.2l that Europe has now, sort of a hand me down. From what I get out of it the performance will not suffer due to gearing change and that the 20 or so horse power difference is only missed at the upper end of the range otherwise the engines are identical. Could you use your Blood Hound skills and try to figure this out. I know that this is only specultive bull**** but I do not know why I keep hearing this from people at N.A. not the dealer but otherwise very good sources. This makes no sense to me cost or anything, the only thing that made some sense to me is that the Roadster and coupe will get the 3.2l (320hp) and that BMW wants to keep all engines that come to the U.S.A. the same. Thanks.<p></i>

Bruce
09-27-1999, 08:48 PM
fact: i have heard BMW was going to world engines about 3-4 years ago<p>fact: the Euro E36 M3 engine is an expensive engine to make<p>fact: the US spec E46 M3 will have AT LEAST 320hp<p>psuedo fact: the base MSRP of the E46 M3 will be about US$45k<p>rumor (could be fact if I paid more attention...over heard at Z3 Homecoming 99 (said by a credible plant employee)...the US will get a 3.2L M engine with a larger intake<p>intuition: BMW is not a large enough company to make a 3.2L and a 3.4L engine<p>guess: BMW has been working on manufacturing the Euro spec engine cheaper (the E36 M3 with a Euro engine, if sold in the US would have been around $50k BASE MSRP

a larger manifold???Evan...
09-28-1999, 12:30 AM
<i>: fact: i have heard BMW was going to world engines about 3-4 years ago<p>: fact: the Euro E36 M3 engine is an expensive engine to make<p>: fact: the US spec E46 M3 will have AT LEAST 320hp<p>: psuedo fact: the base MSRP of the E46 M3 will be about US$45k<p>: rumor (could be fact if I paid more attention...over heard at Z3 Homecoming 99 (said by a credible plant employee)...the US will get a 3.2L M engine with a larger intake<p>: intuition: BMW is not a large enough company to make a 3.2L and a 3.4L engine<p>: guess: BMW has been working on manufacturing the Euro spec engine cheaper (the E36 M3 with a Euro engine, if sold in the US would have been around $50k BASE MSRP<p></i>

Bruce
09-28-1999, 07:30 AM
i doubt it, but possible

Baer
09-28-1999, 10:37 AM
I have heard from talking to a credible M division employee that the 3.2L is a reality, and 320bhp is also a safe assumption.<p>Also, $45K is what the price is estimated at, and BMW is making every effort to stay at this price range. If it does creep up to $50k, who cares??? It is still the best sports car value ever!!!<p>The M3 will most likley have a world engine.

Mark G
09-28-1999, 03:19 PM
I for one would be very disappointed with a 3.2L engine in the E46 M3, even if it had a revised intake. I would probably just wait out the V8 version, if it's coming.<p>Mark G

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index