Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Curious
09-28-1999, 09:29 PM
I have a curious question for those opposed to SMG-transmission: Suppose BMW could develop a tranny with SMG but instead of up-down shifting retained the standard H-box (don't know the technical term). In other words shift as you would a manual but sans the clutch. Comments please. And those who flame will be found and killed slowly.

300Z owner
09-28-1999, 11:15 PM
<i><br></i>d

Pete
09-29-1999, 02:08 AM

cluchless manual
09-29-1999, 11:17 AM
<i>: .<br>Actually, that would be the best<br>of course, personally I have never driven an SMG car and really can not say what I feel about it, however I test drove 'steptronic' bimmers and did not like it. It just felt too disconnected. I felt like there is no need to shift gears. After all, it is an automatic and can do so without my help" It felt pretty useless. Hey, look at me, I'm changing gears! wroom,wroom... Keeping the old "H" but making it cluchless would be rather interesting because it would let one brake with left foot while keeping the "good old manual" people like me happy :)<br>Another cool thing about it would be that poeple will no confuse it with Steptronic or other automatic transmissions. It would be a "Cluchless Manual." BTW, I have tried to explain to a friend of mine about SMG and had a very hard time explaining how it is different from one in the Prelude SH.<br></i>

Den
10-06-1999, 03:37 AM
<i>: I have a curious question for those opposed to SMG-transmission: Suppose BMW could develop a tranny with SMG but instead of up-down shifting retained the standard H-box (don't know the technical term). In other words shift as you would a manual but sans the clutch. Comments please. And those who flame will be found and killed slowly.<br></i><p>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index