Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Caesar
09-30-1999, 10:04 PM
How is SMG different form steptronic on the 540i?

California
09-30-1999, 10:52 PM
you can better understand. If the SMG is the same or similar to a sequential gear box, you use the clutch only for getting into 1st gear. The paddle shifter is similar to how the gear shift operates on a motorcycle. I simple pull puts it in the next gear up or down. The revs are matched by the engine management system to smoothly go into the next gear (up or down) smoothly. Optional on a few cars including the Ferrari 360 Modena. A fantastic device. Quicker than either the traditional manual gearbox or the psuedo Steptronic, Tiptronic, etc., etc. Just very, very expensive.

Bruce
10-01-1999, 11:30 AM
<i>: How is SMG different form steptronic on the 540i?</i><p>SMG = manual tranny, computer controlled clutch<br>steptronic = automatic tranny<p><br>you can NOT compare the two, period, end of story

thanks!!
10-01-1999, 11:32 AM
I understand how SMG works but I want to know what the specific differences are from the Steptronic. The concept is similar but I think they are two totally different technologies.<p><i>: you can better understand. If the SMG is the same or similar to a sequential gear box, you use the clutch only for getting into 1st gear. The paddle shifter is similar to how the gear shift operates on a motorcycle. I simple pull puts it in the next gear up or down. The revs are matched by the engine management system to smoothly go into the next gear (up or down) smoothly. Optional on a few cars including the Ferrari 360 Modena. A fantastic device. Quicker than either the traditional manual gearbox or the psuedo Steptronic, Tiptronic, etc., etc. Just very, very expensive.<p></i>

caesar
10-01-1999, 11:38 AM
<i>That's what I figured. But the concept is definetely similar and I was afraid the performance would decrease because of that. I saw the performance deficit on teh 540 when going from Standard to Steptronnic, that was scary<p>'01 M3 E46 (10th on dealer's list)<p>: : How is SMG different form steptronic on the 540i?<p>: SMG = manual tranny, computer controlled clutch<br>: steptronic = automatic tranny<p>: <br>: you can NOT compare the two, period, end of story<p><br></i>

Bruce
10-01-1999, 12:02 PM
<i>: That's what I figured. But the concept is definetely similar and I was afraid the performance would decrease because of that. I saw the performance deficit on teh 540 when going from Standard to Steptronnic, that was scary</i><p>concept is similar, but the way it is put into action is VERY different...perf should be very similar to the manual tranny and not the ateptronic

KC
10-03-1999, 03:56 PM
<i>: I understand how SMG works but I want to know what the specific differences are from the Steptronic. The concept is similar but I think they are two totally different technologies.<p>: : you can better understand. If the SMG is the same or similar to a sequential gear box, you use the clutch only for getting into 1st gear. The paddle shifter is similar to how the gear shift operates on a motorcycle. I simple pull puts it in the next gear up or down. The revs are matched by the engine management system to smoothly go into the next gear (up or down) smoothly. Optional on a few cars including the Ferrari 360 Modena. A fantastic device. Quicker than either the traditional manual gearbox or the psuedo Steptronic, Tiptronic, etc., etc. Just very, very expensive.<p></i><br>The steptronic is an automatic transmission. It has a torque converter (thus loss of power), it just wont shift by itself in manual mode. You tell it when to shift and it does. It has been improved so there isn't much delay like there is if you take say an E36 325iA and put it in "M" mode and shift yourself. You have about a 400 rpm delay there. <br>The SMG has NO torque converter. The tranny has the same type flywheel and clutch assembly as any stick. Only difference is that there is a computer controlled hydraulic mechanism which actuates the clutch. Also the computer can control the throttle in order to "blip" it and match revs when it shifts. This way it accomplishes a perfect double clutch, heel-n-toe shift everytime. (i don't know if it actually does it as a double clutch but it shifts as well as if a person was doing it double clutch) <br>Hope it helps<p>KC

faris
10-04-1999, 02:31 PM
<i>: : I understand how SMG works but I want to know what the specific differences are from the Steptronic. The concept is similar but I think they are two totally different technologies.<p>: : : you can better understand. If the SMG is the same or similar to a sequential gear box, you use the clutch only for getting into 1st gear. The paddle shifter is similar to how the gear shift operates on a motorcycle. I simple pull puts it in the next gear up or down. The revs are matched by the engine management system to smoothly go into the next gear (up or down) smoothly. Optional on a few cars including the Ferrari 360 Modena. A fantastic device. Quicker than either the traditional manual gearbox or the psuedo Steptronic, Tiptronic, etc., etc. Just very, very expensive.<p>: <br>: The steptronic is an automatic transmission. It has a torque converter (thus loss of power), it just wont shift by itself in manual mode. You tell it when to shift and it does. It has been improved so there isn't much delay like there is if you take say an E36 325iA and put it in "M" mode and shift yourself. You have about a 400 rpm delay there. <br>: The SMG has NO torque converter. The tranny has the same type flywheel and clutch assembly as any stick. Only difference is that there is a computer controlled hydraulic mechanism which actuates the clutch. Also the computer can control the throttle in order to "blip" it and match revs when it shifts. This way it accomplishes a perfect double clutch, heel-n-toe shift everytime. (i don't know if it actually does it as a double clutch but it shifts as well as if a person was doing it double clutch) <br>: Hope it helps<p>: KC<p>Did the "M" mode work the same way, meaning have the +/- shifting for up/down?<p></i>

KC
10-04-1999, 07:06 PM
You just have the regular cane for the auto that has 1,2,3,D,N,R,P but when you put it in M. it won't shift so you can play with the gears 1,2,3 but not D. It is really for starting in 2 in snow I think but it helps for performance driving in an auto also. But of course there is that delay so you have to think ahead. <p>KC

Eric Langjahr
10-12-1999, 02:08 PM
Bottom line is that steptronic still goes through a torque converter.<p>A true SMG has NO torque converter. Computer just controls clutch. Very different

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index