Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Andreas
10-03-1999, 05:08 PM
Hi all<p>I always see on the US boards that people are talking a lot about the Euro M engines. Perhaps I can help you a little further as I'm from Europe (Zurich / Switzerland) and own a Euro Spec BMW M Roadster since 2 years. <p>Here are some facts:<p>1) the new M3 (E46) will have a in-line 6 engine with 340 bhp and a max. torque of 380 nm. As far as I know, BMW will introduce the same M3 in the US as in Europe.<p>2) in September 2000 the US Spec M Roadster will finally be upgraded with the Euro M3E36 engine with 321 bhp @ 7400 rpm and 350 nm @ 3250 rpm. At this time the new E46 M engine is NOT available for the M Roadster. The new M Roadster with the M3E46 engine will be introduced around year 2002/2003 - worldwide the SAME car.<p>3) The 3.2 Euro M engine is still the most powerful in-line 6, none turbo. It is much more expensive than the US spec engine which is some kind of upgraded 2.8. The difference between these engines is just EVERYTHING .<p>4) It is true that the 0-60 times are more or less the same. But the Euro Spec develops more power at higher rpm. The 80 bhp more make the Euro spec car very fast until it is limited at 145 mph.<p>5) the M3E36 Euro Spec engine was designed to be a competitive European race engine while the US spec engine was just designed for the US market -> as I mentioned previously it's a upgraded 2.8... It's for BMW in Europe a question of "prestige". They need the high power engines to "battle" Porsche and Mercedes AMG. In north America it was obviously not that important. It was more important for BMW to make the M3, MZ3 and M Coupé a little cheaper for the US market - I don't know why !<p>IMHO it was a mistake to produce different engines for the M3 in the US and in Europe. I think it is not good for the famous "M image". M3's/MZ3's have a different image in Europe... I guess now they know that it was not a good idea !<p>Although both spec's are great cars I hope that you guys will get "European M power" very soon.<p>regards from a cold and rainy Zurich<br>Andreas<p>

hope is v8(m5 engine)
10-03-1999, 07:39 PM
<i>: Hi all<p>: I always see on the US boards that people are talking a lot about the Euro M engines. Perhaps I can help you a little further as I'm from Europe (Zurich / Switzerland) and own a Euro Spec BMW M Roadster since 2 years. <p>: Here are some facts:<p>: 1) the new M3 (E46) will have a in-line 6 engine with 340 bhp and a max. torque of 380 nm. As far as I know, BMW will introduce the same M3 in the US as in Europe.<p>: 2) in September 2000 the US Spec M Roadster will finally be upgraded with the Euro M3E36 engine with 321 bhp @ 7400 rpm and 350 nm @ 3250 rpm. At this time the new E46 M engine is NOT available for the M Roadster. The new M Roadster with the M3E46 engine will be introduced around year 2002/2003 - worldwide the SAME car.<p>: 3) The 3.2 Euro M engine is still the most powerful in-line 6, none turbo. It is much more expensive than the US spec engine which is some kind of upgraded 2.8. The difference between these engines is just EVERYTHING .<p>: 4) It is true that the 0-60 times are more or less the same. But the Euro Spec develops more power at higher rpm. The 80 bhp more make the Euro spec car very fast until it is limited at 145 mph.<p>: 5) the M3E36 Euro Spec engine was designed to be a competitive European race engine while the US spec engine was just designed for the US market -> as I mentioned previously it's a upgraded 2.8... It's for BMW in Europe a question of "prestige". They need the high power engines to "battle" Porsche and Mercedes AMG. In north America it was obviously not that important. It was more important for BMW to make the M3, MZ3 and M Coupé a little cheaper for the US market - I don't know why !<p>: IMHO it was a mistake to produce different engines for the M3 in the US and in Europe. I think it is not good for the famous "M image". M3's/MZ3's have a different image in Europe... I guess now they know that it was not a good idea !<p>: Although both spec's are great cars I hope that you guys will get "European M power" very soon.<p>: regards from a cold and rainy Zurich<br>: Andreas<p></i>

Pete
10-04-1999, 01:06 AM
You're correct except for the speed limiter which is 155 mph (250 kmh) and not 145 mph (233 kmh).<p>Other than that I totally agree. The Euro-M engine is running in the same category here like a stock 911 (not the Turbo or GT3) if you look at the specs.<p>Regards from rainy Basel to Rainy Zurich<br>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index