Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

glask
10-05-1999, 06:39 PM
many people on this board seem to believe the New E46 M3 will be around 45k. <br>FYI, the MSRP of E46 328 is around 34k. The hp difference between 328 & 323 is around 20hp while the price difference is 5k. <p>is it justified to speculate that E46 M3 will only be $10k more than the 328? 328 has 190hp according to BMW.<br>How many horsepowers did you guys say the E46 M3 will have??... <p>just my $0.02<br>

Bruce
10-05-1999, 06:57 PM
<i>: many people on this board seem to believe the New E46 M3 will be around 45k. <br>: FYI, the MSRP of E46 328 is around 34k. The hp difference between 328 & 323 is around 20hp while the price difference is 5k. <p>: is it justified to speculate that E46 M3 will only be $10k more than the 328? 328 has 190hp according to BMW.<br>: How many horsepowers did you guys say the E46 M3 will have??... </i><p>the 328 is going away next summer and becoming the 330 (and will have at least 220hp- basically and E46 version of the 95 M3 although a bit softer)...expect the price to go up 1-2K...the price relative to the other E46 cars is less relevant than the price compared to the M3 competitors...other makes saw the huge success BMW was having with the M series and are trying to capture that market...BMW has to keep the price down of the E46 M3 otherwise it will be a flop<p>the E46 m3 will have at least 340hp

Greg
10-05-1999, 07:45 PM
<i>: <p>My dealer seems to think it would be in mid 50's<p></i>

Bruce
10-05-1999, 08:39 PM
<i>: My dealer seems to think it would be in mid 50's</i><p>your dealer is WAY off :-)

HANS SNICHER
10-05-1999, 09:42 PM
i think that the pricing will be:<p>MRSP base ----- $44,950<br>HK, CD, POWER SEATS, SUNROOF, WING, OBC, CRUISE<br>will add......... $5,000<p>Total Fully loaded...$49,950<p>Expect to pay higher than sticker on the first few for at least 6-9 months (10%). All you guys on lists will have to pay the $$$. If you pass they know someone will pay the overage - sorry guys.<p>I would personally wait until the 2002 model. BMW is known for coming out with much better models in the 2nd year of production. Most of the changes will be cosmetic/ergonomics however; if they are any mech. difficulties these bugs will be worked out by then.<p>HANS SNICHER

Faris
10-05-1999, 10:00 PM
<i>: <br>What do you mean 10% higher than sticker, are you serious?<br></i>

ern
10-06-1999, 02:25 AM
<i>: i think that the pricing will be:<p>: MRSP base ----- $44,950<br>: HK, CD, POWER SEATS, SUNROOF, WING, OBC, CRUISE<br>: will add......... $5,000<p>: Total Fully loaded...$49,950<p>: Expect to pay higher than sticker on the first few for at least 6-9 months (10%). All you guys on lists will have to pay the $$$. If you pass they know someone will pay the overage - sorry guys.<p>: I would personally wait until the 2002 model. BMW is known for coming out with much better models in the 2nd year of production. Most of the changes will be cosmetic/ergonomics however; if they are any mech. difficulties these bugs will be worked out by then.<p>: HANS SNICHER<p></i>

Beefer
10-06-1999, 08:40 AM
BMW (in the States) is not supposed to sell over sticker. If a dealer charges over sticker, they can be reported to BMW NA and will be dealt with.<p>Almost all dealers charged sticker for the M5.<p>Soooo...don't worry...sticker it is...unless you're a sucker.<p>:)

me
10-06-1999, 08:52 AM
<i>The dealer may try to sell you their added options to jack up the price but if you are getting the car made to your specs you can choose what to add and what not to add thus controling your own price. Dealer can't make you pay more than MSRP that is ridiculous. Unless a car is out of production they can't do that. **** is not like you're buying a Viper or a Lamborghini. Those cars go for what ever the dealer feels like because they are rare. Granted the M3 is a bad *** car (that's why I'm on the list) but it is a production car. When I signed my papers the dealer made me sign this thing saying that I would buy at MSRP at that's cool keep in mind that they are already making a **** lot of money in this car. My 99 M3 had a $5000 mark up from invoice that's well over 14% from invoice. I think that is a substantial markup for a car. But hey, we keep buying them. No one will go over MSRP that is ridiculous and if they do **** them<p><br>: : i think that the pricing will be:<p>: : MRSP base ----- $44,950<br>: : HK, CD, POWER SEATS, SUNROOF, WING, OBC, CRUISE<br>: : will add......... $5,000<p>: : Total Fully loaded...$49,950<p>: : Expect to pay higher than sticker on the first few for at least 6-9 months (10%). All you guys on lists will have to pay the $$$. If you pass they know someone will pay the overage - sorry guys.<p>: : I would personally wait until the 2002 model. BMW is known for coming out with much better models in the 2nd year of production. Most of the changes will be cosmetic/ergonomics however; if they are any mech. difficulties these bugs will be worked out by then.<p>: : HANS SNICHER<p><br></i>

MSRP or ELSE!!!!
10-06-1999, 08:55 AM
No one is allowed to sell over MSRP. If you buy over MSRP you are buying from the wrong dealer. <p><i>: BMW (in the States) is not supposed to sell over sticker. If a dealer charges over sticker, they can be reported to BMW NA and will be dealt with.<p>: Almost all dealers charged sticker for the M5.<p>: Soooo...don't worry...sticker it is...unless you're a sucker.<p>: :)<p></i>

What a freak!!!!!
10-06-1999, 09:22 AM
You remind me all those idiots trying to justify why they are runing windows 3.11 on their computers over WIN95 or WIN98.<p>There is a **** lot of testing involved prior to making a productions car, just in case you didn't know. I think is in the best interest of BMW to produce a bad *** car the first time around don't you think?<p>If they find bugs the first year, what makes you think that they won't find them the next year? You have to trust the brand. If you don't, you are buying the wrong car.<p>So, I'll see you in my rear view mirror in 2001!!!<p>I'd suggest you don't spread bull**** rumors like this. YOu need to educate yourself before you make assumptions. You know what they say about ***-u-me-tions!!!!???<p><i>: : i think that the pricing will be:<p>: : MRSP base ----- $44,950<br>: : HK, CD, POWER SEATS, SUNROOF, WING, OBC, CRUISE<br>: : will add......... $5,000<p>: : Total Fully loaded...$49,950<p>: : Expect to pay higher than sticker on the first few for at least 6-9 months (10%). All you guys on lists will have to pay the $$$. If you pass they know someone will pay the overage - sorry guys.<p>: : I would personally wait until the 2002 model. BMW is known for coming out with much better models in the 2nd year of production. Most of the changes will be cosmetic/ergonomics however; if they are any mech. difficulties these bugs will be worked out by then.<p>: : HANS SNICHER<p></i>

Erik Rutberg
10-06-1999, 10:13 AM
I have owned 14 BMW's and my mother has had 5. Of all the cars, we only had problems with the only 2 early models we have owned. My first new car was a 1992 325i. It was the 8th e36 sedan in the US. In the 12,000 miles I owned it, I lost the transmission and tore the rear subframe mounts from the car. The later has proven to be a problem on the early E36, but it happened to me first, and I had to convince BMW it was their fault. I also had several minor annoying problems with the car, but worst of all I could have gotten the '93 with sport seats and more low end torque.<p>The other problematic BMW was my mothers '95 740i. It went through several MID units (center consoles) and somthing electrical was always broken. We replaced that car with a '98 740iL and have not had any problems.<p>This is why I will wait a year for the new M3.<p>Erik Rutberg<br>1998 540i sport <br>1997 318ti sport<br>1985 735iA<br>1973 2002<br>and looking for a old M car to replace my recently departed Z3 roasdster 2.8.

YEAH!
10-06-1999, 10:49 AM
since the production of E46 M3 is based upon the E46 3-series, and the 3-series have been out to the market for at least 2 years already, so they have already made all the improvement on the 3 series already....so my guess it when the new M3 is out on the first year....it should be alright!

hwj
10-06-1999, 11:33 AM
<i>: MRSP base ----- $44,950<br>: HK, CD, POWER SEATS, SUNROOF, WING, OBC, CRUISE<br>: will add......... $5,000<br></i><p>You know, I would hope that BMW would rethink their options list a bit when they debut the E46 M3 stateside. Things that were "optional" on the E36 M3 -- like the OBC and cruise control -- really should be standard. It's a $50K car, for crying out loud.<p>Uplevel HK stereos, sunroofs, and rear wings should remain options, though I would like to see power seats vs. manually adjustable seats be an equal, no-cost choice.<p>Also, let's hope that both manual and power seats are <i>sport</i> seats -- none of this manual sport seats vs. power "comfort" (read: squishy) seats like we're seeing on other supposedly "sport" sedans on the market.

Paul E
10-06-1999, 12:16 PM
<i>: : MRSP base ----- $44,950<br>: : HK, CD, POWER SEATS, SUNROOF, WING, OBC, CRUISE<br>: : will add......... $5,000<p>: You know, I would hope that BMW would rethink their options list a bit when they debut the E46 M3 stateside. Things that were "optional" on the E36 M3 -- like the OBC and cruise control -- really should be standard. It's a $50K car, for crying out loud.<p>: Uplevel HK stereos, sunroofs, and rear wings should remain options, though I would like to see power seats vs. manually adjustable seats be an equal, no-cost choice.<p>: Also, let's hope that both manual and power seats are sport seats -- none of this manual sport seats vs. power "comfort" (read: squishy) seats like we're seeing on other supposedly "sport" sedans on the market.<p></i> <Things that were "optional" on the E36 M3 -- like the OBC and cruise control -- really should be standard. It's a $50K car, for crying out loud.><p>Oh, so they SHOULD be optional on a mere $40k car?! Cmon, it should be clear that, when it comes to options on the M3, 'should' has nothing to do with it. 'Shouldnt' we have a tilt steering wheel on a $40k + car? Anybody willing to place bets on price: Mine is that base will be $49K. Even if you look at it from a marketing standpoint, there's no way they will get $5 - $7k more for a 328 than a 323, and not get more than double that going from a 328 to an M3.<p>

Paul E
10-06-1999, 12:18 PM
<i>: since the production of E46 M3 is based upon the E46 3-series, and the 3-series have been out to the market for at least 2 years already, so they have already made all the improvement on the 3 series already....so my guess it when the new M3 is out on the first year....it should be alright!<p></i> Well, how bout applying that analogy to the development of the E36 models. Remember? They DID make improvements on the E36 M3 after '95, didnt they?

SteveK
10-06-1999, 01:01 PM
<i>: No one is allowed to sell over MSRP.<p>My local dealer (Anchorage, AK) routinely charges over MSRP. In fact, I was just at the dealer the other day and noticed they had a 740i marked up by over $6500. <p>Steve

Bruce
10-06-1999, 01:14 PM
<i>: BMW (in the States) is not supposed to sell over sticker. If a dealer charges over sticker, they can be reported to BMW NA and will be dealt with.</i><p>not true...i was working with a guy whose dealer was trying to charge over MSRP by making some contacts I know- this came right when Vic left BMW NA and went nowhere after that (it was going somewhere before that however as VIc was interested in the details)

California
10-06-1999, 01:49 PM
Try to purchase an M5 now at MSRP. You can not. Offer $5K or $10K above MSRP and I bet that a few BMW dealers will find that they might just have one for you. The same thing will happen with the E46 M3 unless you negotiate an MSRP deal in writing now and place a deposit.

2000m3
10-06-1999, 02:30 PM
<i>: Try to purchase an M5 now at MSRP. You can not. Offer $5K or $10K above MSRP and I bet that a few BMW dealers will find that they might just have one for you. The same thing will happen with the E46 M3 unless you negotiate an MSRP deal in writing now and place a deposit.<p></i>

2000m3
10-06-1999, 02:33 PM
<i>: Try to purchase an M5 now at MSRP. You can not. Offer $5K or $10K above MSRP and I bet that a few BMW dealers will find that they might just have one for you. The same thing will happen with the E46 M3 unless you negotiate an MSRP deal in writing now and place a deposit.<p></i><p>I put down a $500 deposit on a 2000/1 m3. Number one on the list. They told me three time that it will be MSRP. Also, I am trying to get the EURO delivery to see if I get the 7% discount. If not I will take it at List!<p>

hwj
10-06-1999, 03:41 PM
<i>Oh, so they SHOULD be optional on a mere $40k car?! Cmon, it should be clear that, when it comes to options on the M3, 'should' has nothing to do with it. 'Shouldnt' we have a tilt steering wheel on a $40k + car?</i><p>Actually, I was inferring that even on the E36 M3, simple things like the OBC and cruise control should've been standard. (And I completely agree with the whole fixed steering wheel issue.)<p>Hence the sarcasm quotes: `...things that were "optional" on the E36 M3...' -- I feel they should've been standard from day one.

HANS
10-06-1999, 09:43 PM
<br>: This is why I will wait a year for the new M3.<p>: Erik Rutberg<br>: 1998 540i sport <br>: 1997 318ti sport<br>: 1985 735iA<br>: 1973 2002<br>: and looking for a old M car to replace my recently departed Z3 roasdster 2.8.<p></i><br>Spoken like a true BMW realist. My point exactly. I've owned 4 BMW's including the very first USA Model M3. Wait until 2002 Model - you will have a better car with less problems at a much better price including a better resale value.<br>>><br>Secondly, for those that think MRSP will be the deal dream on. These dealers will capitalize on the very first ones sold. If you don't pay the $ you will be bump down the list. Someone will pay 10% premium to move up. Your deposit just guarantees you a car but #1 doesn't mean you get the first one delivered sorry.<p>HANS

Paul E
10-07-1999, 11:29 AM
<i>: Oh, so they SHOULD be optional on a mere $40k car?! Cmon, it should be clear that, when it comes to options on the M3, 'should' has nothing to do with it. 'Shouldnt' we have a tilt steering wheel on a $40k + car?<p>: Actually, I was inferring that even on the E36 M3, simple things like the OBC and cruise control should've been standard. (And I completely agree with the whole fixed steering wheel issue.)<p>: Hence the sarcasm quotes: `...things that were "optional" on the E36 M3...' -- I feel they should've been standard from day one.<p></i> What is the 'whole fixed steering wheel issue' with which you completely agree? You mean, you agree that we SHOULD have a fixed wheel, or that we should NOT have a fixed wheel?

hwj
10-07-1999, 12:50 PM
<i>What is the 'whole fixed steering wheel issue' with which you completely agree? You mean, you agree that we SHOULD have a fixed wheel, or that we should NOT have a fixed wheel?</i><p>Sigh.<p>I think the E36 M3 would have benefitted from having a tilting and telescoping steering wheel. Not everyone is an "average-sized" adult; I know several colleagues, both short and tall, who balked at buying E36 M3s because they couldn't get a comfortable driving position. (Granted, some of them bit the bullet and bought one anyway, but it was a pretty big deal.)<p>What was the story behind BMW's decision to have the E36 M3s steering wheel fixed-position, anyway? I've heard lots of speculation ("not enough road feel with adjustable wheel"; "real drivers don't want tilt wheels", etc.) but no facts.

rob
10-08-1999, 01:32 AM
<i>: many people on this board seem to believe the New E46 M3 will be around 45k. <br>: FYI, the MSRP of E46 328 is around 34k. The hp difference between 328 & 323 is around 20hp while the price difference is 5k. <p>: is it justified to speculate that E46 M3 will only be $10k more than the 328? 328 has 190hp according to BMW.<br>: How many horsepowers did you guys say the E46 M3 will have??... <p>: just my $0.02<p></i>They are a one price dealer, and they told me that the new M3 will be discounted as every other BMW they sell...if not...i will just take it euro-delivery if available.

Stan
10-08-1999, 08:06 AM
... do you do the same deposit thing for Euro delivery? Thanks.<p>Stan

Paul E
10-08-1999, 11:54 AM
<i>: What is the 'whole fixed steering wheel issue' with which you completely agree? You mean, you agree that we SHOULD have a fixed wheel, or that we should NOT have a fixed wheel?<p>: Sigh.<p>: I think the E36 M3 would have benefitted from having a tilting and telescoping steering wheel. Not everyone is an "average-sized" adult; I know several colleagues, both short and tall, who balked at buying E36 M3s because they couldn't get a comfortable driving position. (Granted, some of them bit the bullet and bought one anyway, but it was a pretty big deal.)<p>: What was the story behind BMW's decision to have the E36 M3s steering wheel fixed-position, anyway? I've heard lots of speculation ("not enough road feel with adjustable wheel"; "real drivers don't want tilt wheels", etc.) but no facts.<p></i> The whole thing makes no sense...Why did they give the tilt to the 328? Dont they care bout road feel too?<p>I came from a Volvo 850Turbo...While its certainly not the car the M3 is, it did have one of the most comfortable driveing positions ever. It had tilt and telescoping.<p>Since the 328 has it, how much harder,ie expensive, would it have been for bMW to put it into the M3?

Rip off!!!!
10-10-1999, 02:10 AM
YEs that was after the $1,500 Window tint, and $4,000 for the custom wheels plus the $1000 cash to your sells guy, sure, that ought to do it.<p><i>: : No one is allowed to sell over MSRP.<p>: My local dealer (Anchorage, AK) routinely charges over MSRP. In fact, I was just at the dealer the other day and noticed they had a 740i marked up by over $6500. <p>: Steve<p></i>

dk1
10-26-1999, 01:30 PM
I'm in a fortunate situation holmes, I live in Deutschland and will get an E46 M3 for less than retail. I bought my 1999 E46 328i with premium package for $31,140. I will get a similar deal with no waiting list when the E46 M3 comes out. Anyone want to buy a really sweet 99 328i?

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index