Roadfly.com         Roadfly Home | Features | Car Review Videos | Car Reviews | Cars For Sale | Used Car Parts Classifieds | Forum | Car Review Archives | Forum Archives Index

PDA

Faris
10-07-1999, 08:35 PM
I've read several comments on here that it is best to pass on the first year model, cause they'll probably fix some bugs and add some extra cool stuff and enhancements in a year or two...<br>Has this been the case with previous M3's?<br>Can anyone think of examples?<p>Thanks

mo
10-07-1999, 10:25 PM
<i>: I've read several comments on here that it is best to pass on the first year model, cause they'll probably fix some bugs and add some extra cool stuff and enhancements in a year or two...<br>: Has this been the case with previous M3's?<br>: Can anyone think of examples?<p>: Thanks<p></i> A good example would be the 95' e36 M3 vs. the 96'+ e36 M3:<p>3.0 liter (OBD1) to 3.2 liter(OBD2) was the main difference.<br>More options were offered like luxury pkg. etc. <br>

Randy B
10-08-1999, 10:17 AM
<i>: : I've read several comments on here that it is best to pass on the first year model, cause they'll probably fix some bugs and add some extra cool stuff and enhancements in a year or two...<br>: : Has this been the case with previous M3's?<br>: : Can anyone think of examples?<p>: : Thanks<p>: A good example would be the 95' e36 M3 vs. the 96'+ e36 M3:<p>: 3.0 liter (OBD1) to 3.2 liter(OBD2) was the main difference.<br>: More options were offered like luxury pkg. etc. <p></i>

hwj
10-08-1999, 01:13 PM
<i>A good example would be the 95' e36 M3 vs. the 96'+ e36 M3:<p>3.0 liter (OBD1) to 3.2 liter(OBD2) was the main difference.</i><p>That was more coincidence than anything else. 1996 was the OBD-II changeover year mandated by the Feds. Had the E36 M3 debuted as a '94 model-year car (which you could almost make an argument for -- the '95s started showing up in the US in the early summer of '94), then the 3.0L-to-3.2L conversion wouldn't seem like a "first-model-year tweak".

Rick Key
10-08-1999, 01:55 PM
<i>: I've read several comments on here that it is best to pass on the first year model, cause they'll probably fix some bugs and add some extra cool stuff and enhancements in a year or two...<br>: Has this been the case with previous M3's?<br>: Can anyone think of examples?<p>: Thanks<p></i>No amount of "testing" will find every weak point in a car. These are almost always discovered by the owner population. Some are more major than others. U.S. cars had horrible reputations in regards to first model year vehicles! Some Japanese and European cars have also had thier teething problems. Then there is the update syndome. The manufacturer will often make some significant improvements/fixes in the second year of the cars life cycle. The first year of the e36 325 did not have VANOS. But some consider the 92 325 engine to be the most stought! Bigger connecting rods etc... The initial 95 M3s did have some problems with valve retainers. These were reinforced in late 95. Still many consider the 95 M3s the best of the e36 M3s. So my point??? Who knows ... maybe late first year models are best ;-) An absolutely unbiased opinion.<p>Rick Key<br>Late 95 ///M3 JimC ///Motivated

load'd w/ goodies,don't C much change
10-09-1999, 03:28 PM
<i>: I've read several comments on here that it is best to pass on the first year model, cause they'll probably fix some bugs and add some extra cool stuff and enhancements in a year or two...<br>: Has this been the case with previous M3's?<br>: Can anyone think of examples?<p>: Thanks<p><p><p></i>

Roadfly Home | Car Reviews | Forum Archives Index